Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Accuquilt fabric cutter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/accuquilt-fabric-cutter-t93664.html)

quilter1943 01-25-2011 05:27 AM

I have been having problems with my left arm/shoulder and need to find a new way to cut my fabric. I've looked at the fabric cutters, but you seem so limited and it looks like they would waste fabric. If you have used one, let me know how you like or dislike it.

CarrieAnne 01-25-2011 05:30 AM

I really like them. Are you thinking the Go, Baby or Studio? They seem easy to turn to me, but I am not sure if you have shoulder problems....

quilter1943 01-25-2011 05:33 AM

I looked at the Go. It's just my left arm/shoulder and I'm having a difficult time holding the ruler to cut. I've tried standing, different positions, a "handle" on the ruler.

SuzyQ 01-25-2011 06:04 AM

I recently got the Studio and love it. It wasn't hard to turn at all even having 8 layers of fabric. I tried the Baby and you had to start the die thru, turn the handle and hold the machine down all at the same time. It was new and I've heard that the more you use the Baby or the Go the easier the handle turns. With the Studio, the machine is heavy so all I had to do was start the die thru and turn the handle.

Susan

Holice 01-25-2011 06:09 AM

if you read the Accuquilt chat site you soon realize they all say it is the best investment ever made. I got the Studio and have only cut a few strips but OH MY the best Christmas gift I ever gave myself. The Go appears to do most everything/cut you will need. Studio is good for heavy duty cutting.

Jill 01-25-2011 06:16 AM

I also have shoulder problems (will have shoulder replacement surgery this summer) and I use a woodworkers clamp to hold my rulers while cutting because I can't take the pain in my shoulder when I try to hold the rulers. I got the GO about 3 weeks ago and really like it. I turn the handle with my right hand. I read on here that it helps to have the cutter low, so I use a table that is the height of my sewing cabinet.

feffertim 01-25-2011 06:30 AM

I really like my quilt cut 2, great for cutting strips, squares triangles and diamonds and you don't need any dies.

Candace 01-25-2011 07:18 AM

If you use the search feature above to do a search, you'll find a ton of threads about this.

featherweight 01-25-2011 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by feffertim
I really like my quilt cut 2, great for cutting strips, squares triangles and diamonds and you don't need any dies.

I love my Altos.

Prism99 01-25-2011 09:38 AM

I have a Go! It was harder to turn at first; now I can routinely crank 4 layers through with no difficulty. There is little fabric waste if you mark your dies (I used a Sharpie permanent marker and a ruler) and place your fabric to extend just beyond the die blades (rather than to the side edge of the die). I pre-cut my widths just 1/2" wider than the die, so each cut has just two 1/4" strips of waste.