Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Accuquilt Sunbonnet dies (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/accuquilt-sunbonnet-dies-t130631.html)

gramquilter2 06-16-2011 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by charity-crafter

Originally Posted by LoriEl
LOL! I thought she died! As in-they were going to discontinue making her. Now I understand.

That reminds me of the Sun sets on Sunbonnet Sue quilt.
Have you seen it? I think it was made by someone who doesn't like Sunbonnet sue. It's quite creative.

http://www.sundrysites.com/embroidery/sunbonnetsues.htm

Not sure I would make this Sunbonnet for my granddaughter! LOL

JSNOMORE 06-16-2011 04:33 PM

sometimes with my applique die I cut the fabric and I cut the fusible. Then I remove the middle of the fusible so that it will only cover about 1/2" around the outer edge. Then I fuse the fabric and the fusible together on a teflon applique sheet.(just in case I don't line it up right.) This eliminates some of the stiffness you get when you use the fusible.Takes a little longer but it depends on the feel I am after.

jeank 06-16-2011 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by JUNEC

Originally Posted by LoriEl
LOL! I thought she died! As in-they were going to discontinue making her. Now I understand.

I'm glad I am not the only one who drew the wrong conclusion when I read the title, but I thought she was dead - I guess I have been living in FLORIDA too long......

I loved the reference to Florida. Our community in FL calls itself "God's Waiting Room"

Jean

emlee51 06-16-2011 06:22 PM

Joining the bandwagon on the death of SBS...

AnnaF 06-16-2011 07:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
There is no seam allowance on those dies to allow for hand turning. However, the sales pitch on these is how easy it is to apply fusible to the wrong side of the fabrics,make your cut and they come off all ready to fuse to the background block. I recently used this method to cut out flowers, stems and leaves to do appliqued borders on a raffle quilt. The cuts are precise and mulitples can be cut (up to 10 layers of fabric). I was very glad that I had the Accuquilt Studio to make the job easier and saved me cutting out tons of pieces to say nothing of all the tracing I would have had to do.

BettyGee 06-17-2011 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by AnnaF
There is no seam allowance on those dies to allow for hand turning. However, the sales pitch on these is how easy it is to apply fusible to the wrong side of the fabrics,make your cut and they come off all ready to fuse to the background block. I recently used this method to cut out flowers, stems and leaves to do appliqued borders on a raffle quilt. The cuts are precise and mulitples can be cut (up to 10 layers of fabric). I was very glad that I had the Accuquilt Studio to make the job easier and saved me cutting out tons of pieces to say nothing of all the tracing I would have had to do.

Thank you for the info. I just purchase the GO and so far I love it. May I ask what the pattern is for the gorgeous quilt you made?
Many thanks,
Betty

gramquilter2 06-17-2011 07:56 AM

AnnaF your quilt is beautiful.

AnnaF 06-17-2011 08:19 AM

The raffle quilt was cut out using several of the dies for 12" blocks that I bought with the Accuquilt Studio. That particular block is called a Jewel block thence the Grandmothers Jewels name we gave the quilt. We came up with a star layout using 4 different blocks.

BettyGee 06-17-2011 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by AnnaF
The raffle quilt was cut out using several of the dies for 12" blocks that I bought with the Accuquilt Studio. That particular block is called a Jewel block thence the Grandmothers Jewels name we gave the quilt. We came up with a star layout using 4 different blocks.

Many thanks,
Betty

BizyStitches 06-17-2011 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by charity-crafter

Can they be done as needle turn applique without the adhesive stuff? If I want to do them by hand?

Just remember if you try to do needle turn that the die does not allow for that extra part that gets turned under. I guess you could use paper in the die the put the cut paper on fabric and cut out your fabric pieces a bit larger. I think just using fusible and then do something like a blanket stitch around them would work much better and it would keep the shape of Sue and Sam. I love my Accuquilt cutter