Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   AccuQuilt vs Cricut Machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/accuquilt-vs-cricut-machines-t65569.html)

Aully 09-19-2010 07:45 AM

My auntie has the Cricut Expression Machine she jus bought the fabric blade for it for quilting, she uses it for scrapbooking with the paper blade. She loves it and told me to buy it as well so we can always borrow each others dyes and blades. I don't do scrapbooking though and don't want to. It is cheaper than the studio machine by AccuQuilt. The Cricut Expression Machine only is $349 where as the AccuQuilt Studio Machine only is $595.

Does anyone have either of theses machines? Opinions needed please. Thanks, HUGS! :)

Candace 09-19-2010 07:50 AM

I've got the Studio. There are a lot of threads about this if you use the search feature. I would check to see what quilting dies are available for the Cricut. Accuquilt has a huge amount of dies for the Studio and I don't think any other system has the same quality or amount of dies. Also, you can buy a kit to use with the Studio that allows you to use other companies dies. I'm not sure Cricut would work though, so do some research on that.

Char 09-19-2010 08:49 AM

You can get the AccuQuilt Go for less than $250 if you look around online. Try Ebay.

QKO 09-19-2010 08:50 AM

We've got the Studio Cutter by Accuquilt and love it for production work.

If you're going to use a die cutter for home purposes, the Accuquilt Go cutter works really well, is a lot cheaper, and folds up to travel or store away. The studio cutter requires a separate space and needs to be set up all the time, and it's considerably larger.

The advantage I think of the Accuquilt system over the Cricut is that it's specifically made for fabric cutting. They're coming out with new dyes all the time and they have really good customer support.

I haven't seen a Cricut in action, but looking at the design it seems like it would be a lot slower to set up and use, since it's essentially a plotter that cuts. It would seem that you'd have to spend time stabilizing the fabric on the cutting mat, and the fact that fabric is flexible (where heavy scrapbooking paper is not) would seem to be problematic in getting accurate cuts.

LucyInTheSky 09-19-2010 09:01 AM

On Amazon you can get the AccuQuilt cheap. I bought the Mix n Match set for something like $200 less than than retail

Prism99 09-19-2010 09:02 AM

From what little knowledge I have acquired, it seems to me that the Cricut would be better for applique shapes (endless possibilities) but that the Accuquilt is better for geometric piecing shapes (strips, triangles, etc.).

Both machines can do fusible applique shapes, but the Cricut has infinite possibilities for the shapes. Also, it seems to me the Cricut would be very handy for freezer-paper applique because you could cut one size for the fabric and a smaller size for the freezer paper. It would be worth the set-up time only for repeating shapes, though.

BellaBoo 09-19-2010 10:25 AM

I have the Go Accucutt and my neighbor has the Cricut Expressions the older one and the brand new model just out. The Cricut can't compete with the Go for fabric cutting. Sounds like the scrapbooker will get the most benefit from a shared arrangement with a quilter. A brand new Go is $218. Don't pay more for a used one then this without dies.

Aully 09-21-2010 12:04 PM

If I buy the AccuQuilt go from Ebay does it still have waranty on it?

luvTooQuilt 09-21-2010 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Aully

No- you are buying it "as is"

Aully 09-21-2010 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt

Originally Posted by Aully

No- you are buying it "as is"

so is that a bad idea then?