Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Accuquilt vs. GO and Wasteful Fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/accuquilt-vs-go-wasteful-fabric-t73913.html)

TeriZ 11-02-2010 04:22 PM

I'm packing for the International Quilt Show in Houston. If I can con my husband (he's going too) into letting me get either a Accuquilt Studio or a Go, which one of the cutters would be more economical in the fabric department? I know all about the dies. But I usually do strips or blocks, pretty traditional type quilts, so I know I could get by with the Go. But I don't want to have to over buy my fabric when I plan a quilt every time, so any suggestions from you owners would be greatly be appreciated. If they are about the same, then it wouldn't really matter and I could just get the GO. Wow that is kind of redundant.....

galvestonangel 11-02-2010 05:27 PM

If you mostly cut strips and blocks why don't you check out Alto's Quick Cut, they are in booth 533. I think I am going to get one at the show. It is only a little over $200.00 and no templates to buy. I just want to see it in person before I decide for sure.

TeriZ 11-02-2010 05:39 PM

Ok. I'll take a look. Thank you.

SueDor 11-02-2010 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by galvestonangel
If you mostly cut strips and blocks why don't you check out Alto's Quick Cut, they are in booth 533. I think I am going to get one at the show. It is only a little over $200.00 and no templates to buy. I just want to see it in person before I decide for sure.

Could you please tell us about the Quick Cut after you have seen it? I have been eyeing it but I just don't know.
Thanks

TeriZ 11-02-2010 06:30 PM

I'll let you know after I take a look. If you do a web search, there's a video showing how to use it also. I immediately took a look at the website, but I do want to see in person. Watching the video, using the Quick Cut to cut out triangles looked a little strange. But that's also not seeing in person. So I'll have to wait for a final opinion.

cjtinkle 11-03-2010 02:42 AM

I can't see how it would make any difference, the Studio and the GO are used the same way. There are various reasons for choosing one over the other, but fabric waste wouldn't be one of them.

Moon Holiday 11-03-2010 05:35 AM

I have the Alto Cut 2 and love it!

BellaBoo 11-03-2010 06:37 AM

Once you learn how to use the Accucut, there is not enough fabric waste to matter. If you cover the whole die with fabric you will have lots of waste but I don't know anyone foolish enough to do that just because the demo person does it to save time.

It took me several years to figure out how to get accurate cuts from the Alto Cut 2. I bought it from the vendor at a quilt show and after watching the dvd many times, it was never pointed out that after the first edge straightening cut the bottom of the fabric had to be aligned against the guide if there is any space between the top of the guide and the bottom. I was doubly upset when I went back to the vendor at other quilt shows and asked why my cuts were not accurate and even showed them how I was cutting and not one told me to realign the fabric before cutting my strips. Now my cuts are accurate, no thanks to the reps.

CarrieAnne 11-03-2010 06:40 AM

I have the Go, and I LOVE it. BUT, if money were no object, I would get the studio, just because it is heavy duty, and there are so many more dies available. I dont waste much fabric with the Go!

Candace 11-03-2010 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by cjtinkle
I can't see how it would make any difference, the Studio and the GO are used the same way. There are various reasons for choosing one over the other, but fabric waste wouldn't be one of them.

I agree.