Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Acrylic Extension does NOT make it easier to FMQ (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/acrylic-extension-does-not-make-easier-fmq-t176367.html)

DawnFurlong 01-20-2012 08:04 PM

Acrylic Extension does NOT make it easier to FMQ

For Christmas I wanted an acrylic extension for my sewing machine (Janome MC4800). One of my primary reasons was the extra space for FMQ. I have liked my extension thus far. Tonight is the first time I tried to FMQ on it.

I would say that was a fail! Couldn't move the quilt around on it for anything. Partly because the quilt kept getting caught on the corners, and why else I am not sure. I just know that it was incredibly difficult to move the quilt around on it. I am quilting a larger lap quilt, approximately 60 x 72.

Pulled the extension off, would rather deal with the smaller space - at least I can move my quilt around.

Ultimately I would like to get a table with an insert for my sewing machine so that everything is flush with the table.

Anyone else with this problem? Am I missing something obvious that I am supposed to be doing to make this easier?

newbee3 01-20-2012 08:09 PM

for fmq you really need a flat surface with the sewing machine and then have tables or ironing board or anything you can use to support your quilt. You will be able to move it around and your fmq will be alot better experience.

Maia B 01-20-2012 08:19 PM

Can you take the feet off the acrylic extension table and use it as your insert to set the machine flush into a table?

deemail 01-20-2012 08:23 PM

i cut my own extension out of 1/4" plywood and 2 x 4 blocks for legs... then i covered the sewing machine AND extension with plain old oilcloth. i taped it down around the hole i cut for the foot (about 3" square) with duct tape as it comes off pretty easily... i only tried it because i wanted a bigger extension than those available... mine is 4 ft from right hand side of sewing machine to left hand corner, and 3 ft deep as that was all the bigger my table was. this has made it a lot easier to move around and all i have to do is re-tape occastionally... it usually lasts thru 3 or 4 quilts before it has too many 'fuzzies' on the edge of the tape to affect it...

lovequilter 01-20-2012 08:56 PM

deemail has a great idea. Have you posted this in the tips section?

Val in IN 01-20-2012 10:50 PM

Wow! What an AWESOME idea!! Gotta try this one, Thanks!

annesthreads 01-21-2012 01:24 AM

I've got the 4800 and the extension table, and I found the same: the surface just doesn't seem to be slick enough, and the fabric won't move easily on it.

sewbeadit 01-21-2012 02:37 AM

Someone on here uses that thick foam board stuff and covers it with plastic to make a bigger area to hold the quilt high enough. I don't know if it is under tutorials or what. It looks like it would work well too.

Maus 01-21-2012 02:46 AM

I read that a very very small amount of silicone spray wiped over a surface will help the movement of the quilt. I've bought the spray but haven't tried it yet - so don't know how successful it would be.

ckcowl 01-21-2012 03:15 AM

it of course takes some practice to get the hang of using a different surface. after some time (some people) wonder how they ever managed to quilt without it- but in the beginning it was difficult because it was (needing to learn) a new way. with some practice it would become much easier.