Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   adding boarder to quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/adding-boarder-quilt-t105485.html)

lpsewing 03-06-2011 01:25 PM

I am ready to add the boarder to my first quilt (crib size)before taking my long arm class Monday.
Is there a reason I should add the quilt boarder is any special order.
I think not,but since everyone has been so helpful prior, I thought I'd ask.
Thank you all once again !!
Linda

PegD 03-06-2011 01:29 PM

I don't know the reason, but sides first and then top and bottom.

Prism99 03-06-2011 01:31 PM

Typically you add the border to the long sides first, then the short ends. This is because it takes less length of fabric (yardage) -- assuming you are cutting on the straight-of-grain, parallel to the selvedge. Straight-of-grain is a more stable cut than cross-grain (selvedge to selvedge) which is why it is preferred for border strips.

If you add borders to the short ends first, this makes the long ends even longer. If you don't have enough yardage, then you may have to piece your border strips.

In other words, it reduces the yardage you need to purchase.

thequiltmama 03-06-2011 01:35 PM

Ditto :)

Originally Posted by Prism99
Typically you add the border to the long sides first, then the short ends. This is because it takes less length of fabric (yardage) -- assuming you are cutting on the straight-of-grain, parallel to the selvedge. Straight-of-grain is a more stable cut than cross-grain (selvedge to selvedge) which is why it is preferred for border strips.

If you add borders to the short ends first, this makes the long ends even longer. If you don't have enough yardage, then you may have to piece your border strips.

In other words, it reduces the yardage you need to purchase.

quilt'nmomma 03-06-2011 01:42 PM

I always do long sides first then top and bottom. It was the way I was taught. I don't even try to argue about it with my grandmother because she will tell me I'm wrong. So I always did as I was told. She says that if they are put on wrong then she loads it wrong in to the quilting frame. I was told that if you do sides then top and bottom it makes an "I" when looking at it from the bottom or top. Thus you load it correctly.

PaperPrincess 03-06-2011 03:09 PM

I like to conserve fabric so long sides, then short.

LivelyLady 03-06-2011 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by PegD
I don't know the reason, but sides first and then top and bottom.

Right or not.....That's the way I do it too

Shelley 03-06-2011 03:21 PM

Make sure you measure the distance at the middle of the quilt, cut your borders to that length, pin the ends, pin the middle, and keep pinning, then sew on. DON'T sew them on and whack off the extra!

Repeat for the other two borders.

This will keep you from having 'friendly' borders - you know, the ones that wave at you!

taj334 03-06-2011 03:42 PM

Shelley is so right! I just learned that lesson the hard way. I had to rip out (take off) the whole border and sew it again. Each side had grown about an inch and they were "wavey." I will be measuring and pinning my borders from now on.

lpsewing 03-06-2011 08:32 PM

Added the sides first as all of you suggested,it went well.
Thank you all for your help !