Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Adhesive Spray or Elmer's Glue on Polyester Batting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/adhesive-spray-elmers-glue-polyester-batting-t226521.html)

nature lover 07-25-2013 10:47 AM

Adhesive Spray or Elmer's Glue on Polyester Batting?

I am trying to get my nerve up to try either adhesive spray or glue on a queen size quilt (my largest quilt so far). I will be using polyester batting. I have read several of the tutorials on QB, I am slightly confused and more than a little apprehensive on which method to try. I have used fusible batting on other quilts. Any advice?

Prism99 07-25-2013 10:58 AM

The only adhesive spray I will use now is 505. Seems as if other brands of spray may not adhere well to polyester, but have never seen a post about 505 not working with polyester batting.

When using spray, be sure to follow the recommendation to layer your fabric on the batting first, then fold back half of the fabric and spray half first. If you spray the whole thing first and then try to layer, let's just say it's no fun.

sewmary 07-25-2013 11:14 AM

I have used every kind of basting spray except 505 and have never had a problem with a poly batt.

Tartan 07-25-2013 12:16 PM

I tried Elmer's glue on poly but used the iron to dry it. NOT a good idea!! The iron melted the polyester batt. Others have used the Elmer's with poly and let it dry naturally and had good luck. I have used poly with 505 and it worked fine but it was just a lap quilt size.

HillCountryGal 07-25-2013 12:18 PM

I too have used 505 spray with good results.

nature lover 07-25-2013 04:15 PM

Well, I did it! I could not find 505 at the three local fabric stores, so bought Sullivan's Original Basting Spray. Spread a sheet on my deck and followed the directions which said to spray on fabric not batting. Seemed to work!! Wrinkles were easy to smooth out and adhesive seemed to hold well. I have the layered quilt laid out on bed and thought I should give it a break, hope it holds together for the machine quilting. Thanks for your advice, this board is full of wonderful ideas and inspiration to try new techniques.

charsuewilson 07-25-2013 06:39 PM

I've used Sullivan's spray adhesive with good results on polyester batting. Haven't tried glue yet.

justflyingin 07-25-2013 09:40 PM

I have used spray glue on poly many times. Poly is all I have and they recently have gotten in the spray glue in a local shop near here! Boy am I happy. I am skimpy with it and try to make one can last for at least 2 if not 3 quilts. I also use pins.

I am not sure what the difference is between 505 and any other kind of spray. Is 505 a brand?

I haven't tried the Elmer's glue method yet...need to do it when I can leave it on the table overnight to dry. With the spray it goes together quickly.

quiltingcandy 07-25-2013 10:15 PM

I use the spray on the quilts - it goes much faster that Elmer's Glue since it doesn't have to dry. I did fall in love with Elmer's Glue when I was matching seams. It was the BEST! Totally sold on it now, but will stick with the spray for the larger projects.