Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Adopt me. Please!!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/adopt-me-please-t77598.html)

Joyce L 11-20-2010 12:08 PM

I have been quilting for awhile, but I am self taught. Most of my quilts have been simple squares. I machine quilt, because I don't know how to hand quilt. I have never followed a pattern. I wnt to make different quilts, but have no idea how to start. Help Please.

kathy 11-20-2010 12:11 PM

go to our tutorials section, you can pick out a project there
start simple and don't get frustrated when it doesn't turn out the first (sometimes several) times!

cjomomma 11-20-2010 12:11 PM

I'm sure you will find someone to help you. I'm not advanced enough to help yet.

Jennifer22206 11-20-2010 12:13 PM

I sent you a PM.

kwiltkrazy 11-20-2010 12:18 PM

JoyceL what is it you are wanting to do? Maybe, a simple star?

I agree with Kathy go to the tutorial section, there are a lot of easy patterns there, I have even posted a tut on twisted sister, which is a very easy block, strip sewing and half triangles, very easy, beginner, block. Then if you have any trouble using the tut, just start another thread asking for help, and knowing these ladies, you will have all the help you could ever use. The ladies and gents here are fantastic. Good luck, and above all enjoy yourself.

nwm50 11-20-2010 12:19 PM

jennifer2206....love your address location!

CompulsiveQuilter 11-20-2010 01:05 PM

just ask questions here - you will get 17 responses in 5 minutes, from people who really want you to succeed

charmpacksplus 11-20-2010 01:10 PM

Check YouTube.com. There are videos for every step of the way from threading the needle to sewing on the binding.

bluteddi 11-20-2010 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Joyce L
I have been quilting for awhile, but I am self taught. Most of my quilts have been simple squares. I machine quilt, because I don't know how to hand quilt. I have never followed a pattern. I wnt to make different quilts, but have no idea how to start. Help Please.

Prehaps we should ally together? I'm self taught as well... I've never really had the proper tool for a specific job, and Never really knew what I was doing.. I just plunge in.
I dont usually do " patterns " or Sq's.. I've always designed and planned my stuff....

RedGarnet222 11-20-2010 01:36 PM

Unfortunantly it does take time to learn quilting and how things go together. If you have a local guild that is nice ladies, they would be a big help to you. There is also beginner classes at most quilt shops and sometimes through the community service classes. It is amazing how much some of those classes cover and get you going.

The other option is to read read read. The magazines and books have many many tips and techniques they teach you. Even patterns have instructions that teach you as you go.
My suggestion would be is to try elenore burns log cabin quilt in a day. She has many beginner patterns besides that one if you don't like log cabins.

Just don't get discouraged... we all started out like you.