Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Adorable baby quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/adorable-baby-quilt-t70671.html)

tjradj 10-17-2010 09:45 AM

I was at a seminar this week and one lady brought her baby quilt for show and tell. She makes them by the dozen and sells them. When we asked her what she sold them for, she said $25. Astounded, we asked how she could make and sell them for so little. Easy, she said.
She buys the prequilted fabric at the local fabric store when it's on sale.
She then cuts a piece that's square, and uses the scallop embroidery stitch around the edge, about and inch in from the edge. She then cuts away the extra outside of the scallops.
Then she machine embroiders the baby's name, date, etc with a teddy bear logo (or anything else) on the one corner.
The one she brought was pink on pink and absolutely beautiful.
Goes to show you, some premade stuff is just as good as homemade. To her clients, the quilts ARE homemade.

Ramona Byrd 10-17-2010 11:35 AM

Whatever rings your bell!!

If her customers like them and they last beyond childhood, then it is a good way to help pay the bills. I don't know her needs or wants, so can't speak about her at all.

That's the nice thing about this quilting world, everyone gets to make what they want and do with it what they want, even selling premade baby quilts.

bakermom 10-17-2010 12:40 PM

I have to laugh because a few years ago I helped my DD out for a charity auction she was working on. i usually send a baby quilt and some emb. items. She needed some more handcrafted items to "fill in". very short notice! I made some quick baby blankets by sewing two pieces of flannel tog.,turning them right side out and topstitching. They sold for over $50.00 a piece!apparently there was a bidding war over one of them!

amma 10-17-2010 01:24 PM

Those sound like they would be really cute! A great quick gift idea too :D:D:D

sew_lulu 10-17-2010 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by amma
Those sound like they would be really cute! A great quick gift idea too :D:D:D

Definitely! Thanks for the idea!

CarrieAnne 10-17-2010 01:39 PM

Sounds like a really quick gift!

Kitsapquilter 10-17-2010 02:39 PM

I am not surprised that she is selling those baby quilts as fast as she can make them. I crochet around fleece for baby blankets and sell them at craft shows. Actually, I send them to my sisters who take them to the craft shows they go to. We probably do 10 or 12 shows each fall up until just before Christmas. I can hardly keep up with my blankets. They sell like hotcakes. I can safely say that I have made around 250 blankets in the past 3 fall seasons.

willferg 10-18-2010 06:34 AM

I met a woman who had a baby blanket making business. She used 30" squares of Minkee on one side and various satiny material on the other or sometimes furry, fringy material. Nothing cuddly, other than the Minkee.

The fabrics were in modern, rather adult prints...or at least nothing I considered "baby." They were simple squares, turned inside out, or sometimes backing fabric pulled around to the front to make a binding. Personally I thought 30 inches was rather small; I prefer 36" square or 36" x 40ish.

What do I know? She sold them at $40 a pop, and sold them through boutiques as well.

You just never know what will wow a non-sewer!

Laurie

cherylynne 10-18-2010 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsapquilter
I am not surprised that she is selling those baby quilts as fast as she can make them. I crochet around fleece for baby blankets and sell them at craft shows. Actually, I send them to my sisters who take them to the craft shows they go to. We probably do 10 or 12 shows each fall up until just before Christmas. I can hardly keep up with my blankets. They sell like hotcakes. I can safely say that I have made around 250 blankets in the past 3 fall seasons.

I make those fleece blankets, too. I think that they take a long time. How much do you sell them for, if you don't mind saying. I could get faster with practice.