Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Advice before I roll the dice... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/advice-before-i-roll-dice-t186451.html)

leighway 04-18-2012 05:41 AM

Advice before I roll the dice...

I've been quilting for over 25 years and until about 2 years ago always pre-washed my fabrics. Then I just stopped doing it...maybe too much trouble. And I saw a blog where Alex Anderson said she didn't pre-wash hers.

So, I've gone and invested the equivalent of a second mortgage in many yards of Kaffee Fassett fabric to make up some of his quilts. Here's the question-

Have any of you who have used Kaffee's fabrics ever had them bleed? The colors are so intense and saturated that I wonder but still finding that inside me I actually loathed all that pre-washing, drying and folding.

And you are free to call me a dimwit for even asking, but I really want to know. And, not only about Kaffee's fabrics bleeding but who out there isn't pre-washing? Thanks for the input!

auntpiggylpn 04-18-2012 05:47 AM

Pre-washing fabrics is a tedious job, I agree but. . . you say that the colors are over saturated and are worried that they will bleed. If you have invested a great deal of money (second mortgage kind of money) in this fabric and you will be making what I am sure will be absolutely beautiful quilts, why would you take the risk of the fabrics bleeding and ruining your quilt? JMHO!

ArtsyOne 04-18-2012 05:48 AM

My personal rule has been that if the quilt will be used as a quilt, then I prewash because the likelihood is that it will get dirty. If the quilt is intended as a wall hanging, then I don't prewash.

Pat625 04-18-2012 05:49 AM

I nevre prewash and have never had a problem. From your post it is obvious that you are worried about this batch of fabric. Maybe that is a sign you would feel more secure to prewash. Perhaps you just test wash a small piece of the one you have the most concern about to see what happens??

karenpatrick 04-18-2012 05:52 AM

I only pre-wash cheap (or should I say less expensive) fabric. Quality fabric I never wash and have never had a problem.

echoemb 04-18-2012 05:53 AM

I have never pre-washed, seemed like such a hassle/waste of perfectly good time. I have never had a quilt bleed. I even made a quilt for my mom with red in it and it didn't bleed. Maybe just lucky.

ghostrider 04-18-2012 05:54 AM

It's easy enough to test a small area of the colors you are most concerned about. Simply wet a cotton swab, saturate a small area of the fabric and blot it between two white paper towels (doesn't hurt to rub it a bit). If the color transfers, prewash.

Sally J 04-18-2012 06:02 AM

I totally agree with Pat625. However, I never prewash and I did a small table topper recently with his fabric and it didn't bleed. It may depend on the colors in each individual print.

Lori S 04-18-2012 06:26 AM

I did have an issue with a couple of Kaffe fabric bleeding. I would prewash.

gigi712 04-18-2012 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by karenpatrick (Post 5150604)
I only pre-wash cheap (or should I say less expensive) fabric. Quality fabric I never wash and have never had a problem.

I buy from manufacturers that I know and haven't had a problem without washing. I have physical problems and all that ironing would take me forever. It's not worth the pain.