Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   advice needed- semi newbie working on tee quilt- bunching (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/advice-needed-semi-newbie-working-tee-quilt-bunching-t15071.html)

squawcorn256 01-05-2009 04:50 PM

3 Attachment(s)
the pic of how it is bunched is the last pic of my 2 posts

i am working on my 2nd tee shirt quilt... but am having some difficulty... i had the same problem and was happy with the turn out of my first quilt (IT FINALLY GOT FINISHED)... but was wondering if anyone on here might have any tips of how to smooth out this problem... i am still very new at this and any tip will be appreciated

i am in the sashing part of the quilt

i pin the stuff together, start to sew, reverse to lock it in (?), and then when i get a bit past the first pin, it starts to bunch up (i guess), i end up taking out the remaining two pins and adjusting, holding the tee shirt and sashing together and continue sewing, usually having to adjust a few more times... and then when i am finished with that particular square it does not lay flat... i have attached pics... i am sewing with a cheap Singer Prelude from Target

any help would be great TY

squawcorn256 01-05-2009 04:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)
also the sashing is a green snowflake... to me it looked like a lace of some sort in the pic... but it isnt

mimisharon 01-05-2009 04:56 PM

Oh, yeah, you need to use your evenfeed. Don't have one yet? Maybe try loosening the tension a little. Maybe even try hand basting or machine basting and then going back to sewing it together.

Good luck, really, that's why my two son's t-shirts are still in the bins and not being worked up. lol

Sharon

Prism99 01-05-2009 05:05 PM

It helps to first use fusible tricot underneath the t-shirt fabric to stabilize it. T-shirt fabric is stretchy, so you are stretching it as you sew. Try using a walking foot (feeds top and bottom fabric evenly) and/or sewing with a strip of tissue paper underneath.

You could also iron fusible tricot to each edge of t-shirt fabric before sewing to sashing; this would prevent stretching. Fusible tricot is available online and at fabric shops such as JoAnn's. It's a good idea to pre-shrink fusible tricot by holding a steam iron above it. After that, you could cut it into strips and then fuse it to the edges of the t-shirt blocks.

squawcorn256 01-05-2009 05:09 PM

i dont know exactly what kind of interfacing i used... it was a mid weight one.. but i did use one to prevent stretching...

walking foots... i was looking at joanns sites and it said they were not available in stores... where should I look for one

ive heard them mentioned several times on here... and probably need to look into investing in one

are they universal? or as long as i buy the singer brand, should it fit my machine? or would it be more specific to the higher end machines?

are walking foots and even feeds the same? just a preference of what to call it?

sewsewquilter 01-05-2009 05:14 PM

Check target, walmart, kmart or sears for a walking foot.

squawcorn256 01-05-2009 05:15 PM

ok... wish our walmart here near DFW still had the fabric sections... i know some do.. its hit or miss

was near galveston this weekend and there was a fabric section there... omg it had all of this fabric and stuff... it was so exciting to just browse... didnt need ne thing :D

Prism99 01-05-2009 05:17 PM

Walking foot and even feed foot are the same.

You need to get one that fits your particular machine. Many machines will take a generic walking foot. A Bernina requires either its own walking foot or an adapter to accommodate a generic. Pfaff usually has a built-in walking foot. Other machines, I'm not so sure about......

jstitch 01-05-2009 05:52 PM

Check to see if you have a local vacuum/sewing machine repair in your area, they usually carry a walking foot for most machines.. you need to get one that fits your specific machine..

I find it interesting that the cottonc fabric is the one that is bunching , instead of the stretchy T-shirt fabric, try changing the adjustment on your machine that puts downward pressure on the presser foot...not the thread tension, but the presser foot tension.. look in your manual to find this adjustment, it is very common to change this for different weights of fabric.

mic-pa 01-05-2009 06:00 PM

another idea is trying putting the pins along the edge about 1 inch apart, horizontally. that might help.