Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Advice Please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/advice-please-t200866.html)

antylu 09-18-2012 03:22 PM

Advice Please

Being fairly new to quilting I have a question. In my quilt I am making there will be log cabins; one of the fabrics used there will also be used in a very tiny border (1/2 inch) in the log cabins the fabric is cut cross grain and cross pattern; should I stick to making the border also cross grain and cross pattern or should I use the fabric lengthwise grain and lengthwise pattern??? It is not a large pattern but definitely runs one way. Appreciate your views. Thanks a million!
P.S. this border is not on the outside.
Sincerely, Antylu

MTS 09-18-2012 03:41 PM

Totally depends on the look YOU want.

Sometimes grain (warp, weft, width, length, straight, bias, whatever) has to take a backseat to aesthetic choices.

I've fussy cut stripes because I wanted them to be going in only one direction in certain blocks; in others I've wanted a more wonky not-so-organized look so left them however they ended up being placed.

YOUR choice.

ckcowl 09-18-2012 03:42 PM

is it a kit? that stipulates to cut the log cabin strips across the pattern?
it does not matter which way you cut the fabric- perhaps you could fold it the lengthwise way & lay it with the blocks to see how you like it that way? can you post a picture so we could see the pattern? is it a small/narrow pattern? will you see it distinctly if you cut it with the pattern? does it change the look totally depending on which way it goes? it's hard to really say without actually seeing it...could be a personal choice- but i would at least try to (test) it both ways to get an idea how it will look

QuiltnLady1 09-18-2012 03:45 PM

OK, I am anal -- if I am doing a border that covers a long length (over 12"), and it is directional, I do one of the following:
-- cut it so the pattern is going up and down -- the tops are cross cut and the sides are cut vertically
-- cross cut both top and sides and face them to the center
-- cross cut both top and sides and face them out

My decision is based on the width of the border and how it looks cross cut versus horizontal -- and how much fabric I have. I find that linear patterns are harder to cut vertically for the sides (there is a whole issue about patterns not being printed truly on the grain).

bearisgray 09-18-2012 05:48 PM

If the pattern of the print is important for the look you want - and it is an inside border - cut it the way that works for the look you want.

The world will continue to turn no matter which way you do it. (And your quilt will be okay, too!) You might need to fussy cut the piece and be more careful when you sew it than usual, but it's doable.

antylu 09-18-2012 06:20 PM

Thank you all; it was easy to see when I did lay them out side by side that it will look much better having the border go crosswise grain also. Why in the world didn't I think of that!! Thanks again, your are all great.

GingerK 09-18-2012 06:29 PM

Well sweetie, that's why we are here--to be your inner voices discusssing all the different ways you could do things.

Glad you checked out the alternaives and settled on the best way for YOU.