Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Advice sought on sewing machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/advice-sought-sewing-machine-t206261.html)

ennoh 11-17-2012 04:08 PM

Advice sought on sewing machine

I am new to quilting but have just realised that I will have to get another sewing machine. I have a Bernina Nova 900 which is about 30 years old - all metal parts, runs like a dream and is still going strong. Earlier this year I made my first quilt - all hand done though I will have to send it away to get finished off by a professional quilter. Now I'm hooked and can see so much scope for making wall hangings, runners, quilts and so forth.
I found an amazing book by Michele Hill called "William Morris in Appliqué and I want to do some appliqué by machine using blanket stitch - but - shock horror! - my trusty Bernina doesn't do blanket stitch! Where I live, it seems that the big brands are Pfaff, Bernina, Janome and Brother. I don't know enough to work out the features I need - but if I want to do appliqué and get into quilting in a bigger way (short of buying a long arm quilter - which to me, is for the professionals - which I will never be!!) then I would love to hear any suggestions as to what machine would be good for me. What brand is best - or what model? I know that machines are expensive so I could look for a second hand one from someone who is upgrading....
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Navy Wife 11-17-2012 04:26 PM

I own 2 machines. One is a Pfaff Creative Vision, which is top of the line with embroidery and all that. You don't need that now. I also have a Janome Gem Platinum 760. It has 60 stitches including the blanket stitch. It also is small and light weight to carry to classes. You should visit all the dealers in your area, and see what they have. See what extras they offer, and if you like the people in the store. You will be dealing with them for a long time. All the brands you mentioned are good machines. When you buy, get one with a few more features than you think are necessary. Otherwise you will be sorry! I suggest needle down as necessary! This is a good time to buy a machine. Christmas specials and good trade ins are available.

ckcowl 11-17-2012 04:33 PM

you can do applique with a small zig-zag- you do not have to do it with blanket stitch- some people use different decorative stitches---if your machine sews like a dream i see no reason for the need to buy a new machine---unless you simply want something different. i applique ALOT...I have a blanket stitch on my machine but i don't believe in the 7 years i've had it i've ever used that stitch. i blanket stitch by hand if i'm doing machine applique i use a zig-zag- or some other stitch that suits my fancy- or seems right for the project.

ennoh 11-17-2012 04:37 PM

Thanks Navy Wife! Thats a very practical suggestion. I have found a fabulous quilting shop with an amazing range of fabrics - and they tend to sell Brother machines. I guess my hesitation in asking people in shops is that they will want to promote their brand which may not be the best machine for what I want so I was hoping to get some advice from forum members so I could be well armed and pointed in the right direction.

ennoh 11-17-2012 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 5663731)
you can do applique with a small zig-zag- you do not have to do it with blanket stitch......

ckcowl: what is the big difference between using blanket stitch and zig zag in applique then?

Jo C 11-17-2012 04:42 PM

Yep, i use zig zag.

Prism99 11-17-2012 06:25 PM

If you do look at buying a new machine in order to do machine applique using a blind-hem stitch, blanket stitch, or even a zigzag stitch -- make sure that the machine has adjustable stitch length and stitch width. You really want those features so you can adjust the stitch to your liking. Many of the less expensive new machines (in many of the major brands) have all "built-in" stitches, and no manual adjustments to their length and width, making them much less desirable for machine applique work.

PaperPrincess 11-17-2012 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by ennoh (Post 5663746)
ckcowl: what is the big difference between using blanket stitch and zig zag in applique then?

It's the 'look' of the finished applique. Either one will secure the applique to the background. A blanket stitch looks a bit more like a hand stitch. If you match your thread color to the applique, either one will do. I took an applique class recently and that instructor used a small zigzag and monofilament (clear) thread. I would do a small sample with a zigzag and see if you like the look.

Dolphyngyrl 11-17-2012 06:53 PM

I have used my brother's just fine for applique, it has several blanket stitches and does satin stitching really nice, got my cheap one SQ-9050 at walmart and it goes to all my classes and I keep it at my inlaws for when I want to sew there on my day off when my baby has something at school

jemma 11-17-2012 07:16 PM

needle down --adjustable blanket stitch---a good tight satin stitch--
super helpful is--auto thread cutting----start+stop auto thread tie off
walking foot [pfaff has I D T built in]
check the machine will sew a quilt thickness
michele is a member of my guild[ how lucky am i ] she is a most delightful lady as well as very talented