Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Advice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/advice-t160763.html)

Sheila_H 10-15-2011 09:23 PM

What do you do when you feel like your in a rut with a current project? I'm working on a sampler II quilt from class and some of the blocks I just don't care for. I've taken them out about 6 times and I'm finding it hard to sit down and finish them off. What do others do when they hit that roadblock or mental block?

Also I was working on a quilt for my mother in law who has now passed away from cancer it was to be on her bed in the hospice room, and now I don't know what to do with it or who to give it too. I don't just want to give it away but everyone in the family knows it was meant for her. Is it in poor taste to give it to someone else in the family?

crafty_linda_b 10-15-2011 09:27 PM

Sheila..can you donate it to Hospice in her name? I know we have a Hospice thrift shop here and they do sell quilts in it. The money all goes to cancer research I believe. You might consider that. Maybe the money raised from it will help towards the cure for cancer. Sorry to hear that your MIL has passed...my thoughts & prayers to you and your family. crafty_linda_b

Sheila_H 10-15-2011 09:30 PM

Thank you Crafty I will ask the staff at the hospice at least it brought a smile to her face and she told everyone about her quilt that came to visit so I know she was proud of it. Still hard to believe she's gone but I know she'd want someone to have it that would enjoy it. She was a quilter and her mother as well I've got quilts that have to be 50 yrs old from her mom.

Country1 10-15-2011 09:32 PM

No it is not in poor taste to give it to someone in the family, maybe your husband? Or maybe you could donate it to an auction or raffle for cancer research or to help pts with cancer.
Maybe 1 reason your in this rut, is do to your grief or you feel guilty for not getting the quilt done before her passing. She knows and understands. It was a labor of love that should be finished, maybe not now, maybe you need a break from it for a little while.
Prayers going out to you and your loss.
Penny

Jim 10-15-2011 10:53 PM

things I dont like become UFO's while I work on other things and contemplate the UFOs...usually after thinking about them for awhile I think of something I want to do to them make them better

BETTY62 10-16-2011 12:02 AM

I am sorry your Mother-in-law passed before you completed the quilt you were making for her, however, it sounds like it gave her great comfort to know you were making it. You should complete the quilt in her honor. Although the family knew you were making it for her, it would not be wrong for you to keep the quilt for yourself or a member of your immediate family. Do you have children that would like to have it as a memory of their grandmother? Is your father-in-law still living and were they together when she passed? Having it might provide comfort to him. Or, like others have said, you could donate it to someone else who has cancer and needs to know someone cares.

When I have something that I need to work on but want to keep putting it off, I put it at the top of my list. I set aside a few minutes to work on it 1st thing every day. After the alloted time, I stop and work on something I enjoy doing to reward myself. Before long, the dreaded project will be completed and you can move forward on another project you will enjoy.

gale 10-16-2011 12:21 AM

I'm in a huge rut right now but it's a quilt I'm making for someone (she knitted some things for me and she already sent them so I have to get this done, and soon). I have no choice but to suck it up and get it done. I just need to get started on it. Soon.

ckcowl 10-16-2011 12:58 AM

when i am working on something that has hit a road block- i generally set it aside and make something i want to make- start a new project you do like- sometimes an (instant satisfaction) project will do it----like a table runner/placemats-something that goes together quickly-
if after a while i find i just have no interest in ever finishing the set aside project i pass it on- there are lots of groups (and people here on the board) who appreciate ufo's, orphan blocks, and scraps-

as for mil's quilt- if someone in the family would love to have it- well pass it on to one of them- if not- hospice house is a great choice= either way is a wonderful way to pass on mil's quilt

blueangel 10-16-2011 03:18 AM

Hospice is my first choice.

LindaM49 10-16-2011 03:22 AM

As soon as I finished reading your post I thought the same thing...donate it to Hospice.

As I am back to sewing after over 10 years I don't have much experience with working on things that I either don't like or am getting mad at. But...I AM finding out the things I love about quilting and would rather do than completing something straight through. I agree...put it aside and start another project. As someone else said...make something you can complete quickly and maybe work on the "problem" quilt just a little each day. I am about 1/2 finished pieceing my Christmas wallhanging and definitely not as excited about it as the day I started...lol.