Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   ALCO stores closing fabric department (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/alco-stores-closing-fabric-department-t53696.html)

janceejan 07-09-2010 08:48 PM

I went to visit my DD today. Part of our routine is to go to the ALCO store and check out the fabric department. I stop today and all the fabric is on sale 25% off because they are getting rid of it all. They will not cut to length, you must buy the full bolt. I "managed" to find about 15 (lol) 1 and 2 yard pieces.

I hate it, that they are all doing this. Andrews TX is a small town, no Walmart unless you drive another 30 minutes north, no JoAnns or Hancocks unless you drive 45 minutes south.

I am sure there will be some disappointed sewers in that town....... :thumbdown:

Leota 07-09-2010 08:52 PM

Walmart doesn't carry yardage anymore either. Some stores have pre-cut pieces but that's all.

janceejan 07-09-2010 08:54 PM

We have two Walmarts in Midland, one carries fabric one does not.

Lori L 07-09-2010 08:56 PM

We only have a Walmart in my hometown and they did the same to us about 2mths ago. Nearest quilting store for me is now 45minutes away. I think I'll be spending a lot of time shopping online for fabric.

gale 07-09-2010 10:17 PM

The alco here seems to be going to pre cuts only. Sad because the pre cuts seem awfully thin compared to the regular yardage.

deedum 07-10-2010 03:00 AM

yep, same here! Too bad, because Alco had a decent fabric department.

quiltinghere 07-10-2010 03:18 AM

We had the same issue with our ALCO = months ago....and I 'stocked' up!

All they have left now is the various yardage of fabric that cannot be cut. Last time I looked it was 50% off... and I resisted the urge to purchase any more.

BellaBoo 07-10-2010 08:47 AM

Oh, you can cut the fabric yourself any yardage you want. After it's cut have the employee measure it and write out the blue ticket. At least that's what the Alco store here will let fabric buyers do. They know all of the fabric customers anyway as the stores are in towns deemed to small for a WalMart.

I am going to miss Alco fabrics! I make a day of going to the nearest one to stock up on fabrics when Alco had a sale. Where else can I find Jinny Beyer jewel tone fabric for $2.99 a yard? I went for the last time several days ago and bought all the Kafffe Fasset fabric they had. It was from his earlier line but still just as beautiful.

I was told by the store manager Alco didn't want to stop selling fabric, in many towns the fabric sales kept the store afloat in rough months. He said the fabric sales has saved his store many times. He said what he could find out was the fabric contract more then doubled and Alco knew the store could not sell the fabric at a price their customers could afford or expected from the store.

akrogirl 07-10-2010 09:04 AM

I'm not familiar with Alco, but that is bad news for so many people. It is bad enough when prices go up normally, but it is especially bad when people are having to take pay cuts or are losing their jobs altogether. Definitely tough times ahead for sewers and the LQS's.

Candace 07-10-2010 11:56 AM

I've never heard of Alco either.