Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   All Quilters....HELP!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/all-quilters-help-t37376.html)

rebeccamerry 02-19-2010 10:27 AM

I just finished using fusable batting for the first time...MISTAKE! Some of the glue oozed through the back of the sandwich and now is a hard, dried on, glue blob on the back of the quilt. No problem, right? The instructions for the batting said it washes right out. NOT TRUE!!! Does anyone have a solution for this problem??? I'm willing to try anything! I tried heating it back up with the iron to get it to stick to another pice of fabric (read on another site), soaking it, re-washing it...I'm open to suggestions because I really don't want this to be ruined!!

watterstide 02-19-2010 10:30 AM

Not sure.. but someone will be along that can offer some ideas. never had the glue come through the back or top of a quilt, when i did use the fusable batting..i have only used it on a few baby quilts, mostly wallhangings.
you didn't throw it in the dryer yet did you?

dglvr 02-19-2010 10:34 AM

OH my golly. :cry: I am sorry to hear that. I've used that batting before and wasn't happy with it. I know people that swear by it. I have not had that much of a problem with it just didn't like it.
I am sorry I can't help but wanted to reply to this so I can see what others say. :roll:

rebeccamerry 02-19-2010 10:38 AM

oh Yeah, right into the dryer it went!!! I didn't notice that it was glue until it came out the other end stiff as a board!! I thought it was a bit of water from steam off the iron...ugh!

watterstide 02-19-2010 10:52 AM

oh crapola..if it is for you, then maybe over time it will come out in the wash. if it is for someone else..maybe you just better start on another one..yikes! i feel so bad for you!

cuppi duke 02-19-2010 12:00 PM

I didn't care for the fusible batting either. I didn't care for the stiffness. You might call your dry cleaners and see if they have a solution.

rebeccamerry 02-19-2010 12:09 PM

good idea! I never thought about the drycleaners...

amma 02-19-2010 12:18 PM

Is it random spots? Big areas?
Would you be able to hand sew on some appliques to cover them up?

nativetexan 02-19-2010 12:20 PM

what brand was it?? i use Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 fusible. sometimes when i open the pkg there might be a piece of glue glob which i remove. it's not supposed to be there. the fusible is "in" the batting. no oozing. so sorry that happened hon.
you might contact the maker and ask them what to do.

Bottle Blonde 02-19-2010 08:06 PM

I really hope a drycleaner has a safe method of removing this glue, but if all else fails - you might try Goo Gone. I have never put it on fabric but I just read the bottle and it says it can be used on clothing, carpet, upholstery. It is used to remove tar, glue, stickers, gum, etc... Goo Gone is oily - just to let you know. I bought it at Wal Mart in with the general cleaning supplies. I think they also stock it in the automotive dept. Good Luck.