Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   alot of talk about labels- and wanting to sell your quilts-be informed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/alot-talk-about-labels-wanting-sell-your-quilts-informed-t144787.html)

ckcowl 08-13-2011 03:39 AM

there has been alot of topics this summer about quilters wanting to sell their quilts-
and do i label my quilt?

well= there are laws that say---if you are going to sell ANY HAND CRAFTED TEXTILE ITEM it must contain a label- and their are certain things that must be included on that label--

US Labeling Laws You Need to Know About When Selling Your Handcrafted Apparel Items

You've probably noticed labels on clothing you have purchased but may not have realized that an individual crafter is required by US government regulations to attach the same types of labels to handmade apparel items made by the crafter (which are for sale), the same as any large clothing manufacturer is required to do.

you need to visit the United States FTC (fair trade commission) and read the requirements- always protect yourself- their are fees- (reprocussions) for not following the rules---you might think well- no one will never really know---but you never know---and is it worth getting fined for??? it is a simple matter to attach a label to your crafts---
the label HAS TO INCLUDE FIBER CONTENT: if you use poly batting and cotton top/bottom the label needs to say so
it also HAS TO INCLUDE CARE INSTRUCTIONS...
these are required by law on any textile item made and sold in the U.S. (other contries have other laws-if you are outside the U.S. you should check on your requirements---they are world wide) they also apply to knitted/crocheted items---any textile item made and sold.
so if you are trying to make a little money- protect yourself- check the rules- it does not cost anything to put a label on your item- it may cost you ALOT to skip that set.

loves_2_quilt 08-13-2011 03:41 AM

I sold some quilts a couple of years ago in a craft show and labled them, so the buyer would be informed. I didn't know I was complying with the law. Thanks

ptquilts 08-13-2011 03:47 AM

great, now the feds are coming after Grandma for selling her handmade mittens....lol..

sueisallaboutquilts 08-13-2011 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
great, now the feds are coming after Grandma for selling her handmade mittens....lol..

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

But thanks for the info. I didn't know about it.

leatheflea 08-13-2011 04:08 AM

Yep I thought I seen a Fed at the last craft show I went to! Very strange this lady was. She was trying to blend in, but can you really blend when you show up in a vintage pink Buick wearing a pink suit? Very suspicious to say the least. I dont know but she might have been looking for illegal aliens also.

Sandy-lou 08-13-2011 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
Yep I thought I seen a Fed at the last craft show I went to! Very strange this lady was. She was trying to blend in, but can you really blend when you show up in a vintage pink Buick wearing a pink suit? Very suspicious to say the least. I dont know but she might have been looking for illegal aliens also.

she may have been a Mary Kay makeup consultant lol

Maggie_Sue 08-13-2011 04:17 AM

Learn something new everyday!!

QuiltingGrannie 08-13-2011 04:19 AM

Thanks for the info. It comes at the right time as I am getting ready to put some of my items for sale at a retail location.

Also sometimes those Feds or other licensed product reps are at shows to see if licensed products are being sold without the proper license. Such as Harley Davidson, Honda, and such. If you don't have the license to sell their products or anything with their logo/label on it, you will be fined and they can take ALL of your product and shut you down!

Something to keep in mind when using some fabrics in your items. Even some fabrics are labeled 'Not for resale", "for personal use only".

QUiltingGrannie

Suzi 08-13-2011 04:31 AM

Just another example of Big Brother watching you. I'm sorry - this just ticks me off as it seems the government (most of who are idiots) is overly concerned with this small stuff as opposed to actually running the country. Ridiculous! Just sayin' .............

snipforfun 08-13-2011 04:46 AM

The labeling applies to clothing and "certain piece goods" which is a ver ambiguous term. Much of the content of the regulations have been changed also and several modifications are being considered right now. When you see "official" looking people at quilt shows, fairs etc. they are checking for licensing and or tax id numbers to make sure sales tax is being collected. This took place at our quilt show this Spring. i dont think quilters have anything to worry about. The FTC is really more focused on large manufacturers than us.