Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Am I the only one? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/am-i-only-one-t53985.html)

Dee Dee 07-11-2010 05:19 PM

I'm with you Minnie, I need a pattern too.

Stitchnripper 07-11-2010 05:22 PM

Oh no, not the only one. Sometimes when I see a pattern that starts with - cut 48 2 1/2 inch squares from the light fabric, 36 from the medium fabric, the room starts to spin! I have used an Eleanor Burns pattern from a book, but she is so specific I had no problems. I like the simple patchwork quilts the best, so I usually improvise from public domain squares.

Bottle Blonde 07-11-2010 05:34 PM

I usually start with the pattern and then change it ---- I always do that --- it is a habit I developed when I used to crochet a lot and I just can't seem to help myself. LOL I think I have only followed one pattern all the way and it is a UFO right now. I've made up and improvised almost every project I have done.

You are not losing brain cells ---- you are developing artistic habits. Have fun with it!

raptureready 07-11-2010 05:44 PM

I usually look at pictures and then make the pattern (directions) up on graph paper to suit my needs. That's how I did my avatar and I do a LOT of paper piecing and applique that way. I make my dd and my own clothes without a pattern too. To me they're just a waste of time. Every now and then I'll use one but not too often. I use patterns in classes if it's required. I used to be a whiz in math so I thought that maybe that's why I can look at a pattern and know how big to cut the pieces to make it the size I want. I was surprized to find out that there were people that couldn't do this because to me it's just natural.

franie 07-11-2010 05:45 PM

I do both.

amma 07-11-2010 05:49 PM

Most of mine are my own patterns or my take on theirs :D:D:D

Deborah12687 07-11-2010 05:50 PM

I make my own patterns for the most part as I like to create patterns and have fun with the different fabric colors and fabric prints. This way I understand my own directions as some times the purchased patterns are to abbreviated and not easy to fallow. I like to be as original as I can be and some day maybe I will have enough patterns to make a book of patterns.

hobo2000 07-11-2010 05:56 PM

If I like a pattern, I note the squares and then go an make my own pattern. So many patterns give you absurd amounts of fabric. 4.5 yards of this 3.0 yards of that 2 yards of each of three colors. Hey, how many quilts are we making. No one quilt needs 13.5 yards for the top. I end up with all of this extra fabric..so I design and work out my own fabric needs.

grammyp 07-11-2010 05:58 PM

I use a lot of "techniques" rather than patterns. I have not tried any complex patterns, I prefer to keep things simple.

FranW 07-11-2010 06:08 PM

When I first started quilting, I followed patterns to the letter. The longer I've been quilting, the less I have followed patterns. I start out with a pattern, but end up improvising along the way. Hmmm, I guess I am not really answering this question very well. Sorry, whatever works is what's right!