Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Am I the only one? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/am-i-only-one-t53985.html)

kbiederman 07-11-2010 03:53 PM

Am I the only one that doesn't use a pattern?

So here is the thing. Although I like the thought of being told how many, and how much of each fabric I need, when I actually look at the pattern I get overwhelmed. Looking at a list a mile long with a hundred different sizes of a hundred different fabrics is so daunting I just forget it. I have just figured out some of the ones I have wanted to try, but as of now, if I can't figure it out just from looking at or watching a tutorial on it, I don't even bother.

So, does anyone else do this, or am I just brain challenged? Just wondering :) ~Karen

ruthruff3 07-11-2010 03:56 PM

I do a lot of my own "designing" but I follow patterns too. Is that because I'm a Gemini????? Or maybe just crazy!

pookie ookie 07-11-2010 04:00 PM

Sometimes I do. Sometimes I don't. No law says you have to use a pattern.

If you want to start using patterns, pick a quickie. That way, it won't seem like a long row to hoe. Or, buy an already cut kit.

Otherwise, continue to enjoy figuring out the puzzles of "how do I do that!?!" It's all good.

deedum 07-11-2010 04:01 PM

I feel the same way! I was wondering if I am just loosing brain cells. I am working on a pattern now and stuck! Got to boost my brain power to get thru this one.

soccertxi 07-11-2010 04:09 PM

I have found books and magazines that have instructions that 'fit my brain". Usually the instructions are clear and concise. The ones that are 'wordy'...they make my brain turn off! I swear sometimes I cannot SEE them! My favorite designers are Terri Atkinson and Judy Martin. My favorite quilt magazine is Quiltmaker. I think sometimes they have their instructions or cutting requirements in a table. Less words works for me!

sewmuchmore 07-11-2010 04:14 PM

I get overwhelmed also, I want to enjoy quilting so I just do what I like and go from there. The first was ok but the second one was a disaster. I am not letting it go to waste. I am practicing on it with my long arm. But with the help of this board I have made a few that looked pretty good. :thumbup:

sueisallaboutquilts 07-11-2010 04:30 PM

Karen, I get overwhelmed also. I love clear and concise!!
Many times I will just do a block I like and make the quilt w/o a pattern. I'm more into traditional patterns and then maybe add a little twist if I'm feeling creative :D:D
Lots of times you can do something extra cool just by the fabrics you choose.

Dee 07-11-2010 04:36 PM

I look at the pictures and do my own thing. As for me this is easier for me and I like the challenge of doing it myself.

bstanbro 07-11-2010 04:55 PM

I do get overwhelmed when there are lots and lots of different fabrics. I still use the pattern, but I buy as I go. Fortunately, I have a pretty good stash now, and so I don't have to buy much unless it's for a back. Just remember: No rules.

MinnieKat 07-11-2010 05:17 PM

Are you kidding me??? I can't do anything without a pattern! I think I'm the one that's brain challenged.