Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Amish square? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/amish-square-t127886.html)

CAS49OR 06-03-2011 07:35 PM

I have been working on a laptop throw, much of which was pieced together. I haven't got the courage up to quilt it yet, so keep moving it from the ironing board to the bed when I need the ironing board.

Any how.... I found a loose seam. One of the main blocks in the middle let loose. There's 1.5" loose seam. I must have sewn it too close. There is no way I can take this quilt apart and fix "that" square. I put some glue on it and intend to topstitch over it when I quilt.

That topstitching is going to stick out!

Is that ok, or what else can I do?

crafty_linda_b 06-03-2011 07:41 PM

Why can't you just stitch it now? Seems like you should be able to do that unless it was paper pieced? Good luck.
crafty_linda_b

CAS49OR 06-03-2011 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by crafty_linda_b
Why can't you just stitch it now? Seems like you should be able to do that unless it was paper pieced? Good luck.
crafty_linda_b

It is a piece of many blocks. Pieced blocks. I put it together in several sections. This one is in the middle.

RkayD 06-03-2011 08:34 PM

you will find that you won't be happy unless you fix it now..It will always bug you..ask me how I know??

ann31039 06-04-2011 12:07 AM

could you handstitch it with that ladder stitch? it is invisible and easy to do

ckcowl 06-04-2011 02:10 AM

can you tuck some fusable behind it? also there is a product called liquid stitch that would be a permenent bond to hold it. the top stitching will only stick out if you only top stitch that one piece- you can quilt it to look like the rest.

CAS49OR 06-04-2011 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
can you tuck some fusable behind it? also there is a product called liquid stitch that would be a permenent bond to hold it. the top stitching will only stick out if you only top stitch that one piece- you can quilt it to look like the rest.

I did glue it down, and it looks ok. I was not going to quilt that area, but probably will now.

CAS49OR 06-06-2011 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by ann31039
could you handstitch it with that ladder stitch? it is invisible and easy to do

What is ladder stitch? The glue seems like it will hold it, but it is stiff there. I don't like it!

Tartan 06-06-2011 06:06 PM

Amish to me suggests simple like square in a square? It sounds like yours is more involved than that. Is there any way you could do black bias for stain glass effect or black outline on one side for shadow effect? Hard to think of ideas without seeing a picture. Perhaps a few carefully placed appliques?

CAS49OR 06-06-2011 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan
Amish to me suggests simple like square in a square? It sounds like yours is more involved than that. Is there any way you could do black bias for stain glass effect or black outline on one side for shadow effect? Hard to think of ideas without seeing a picture. Perhaps a few carefully placed appliques?

oh, sorry for the confusion. by "Amish Square" I meant sometimes an obvious mistake is left in a quilt. Mine wasn't intended. I have a seam loose between a section of a pieced quilt. It is almost in the middle, it would be impossible to unsew and redo. I tacked it down with glue, I don't like it because it is stiff where the glue is.

I marked it so I quilt over it. I hope that will work.