Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Amounts of Yardage in Magazine Patterns (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/amounts-yardage-magazine-patterns-t223940.html)

jillaine 06-17-2013 04:22 PM

Amounts of Yardage in Magazine Patterns

I enjoy flipping through Quilting magazines and being inspired by all the different designs, or to learn something new in terms of a technique. But I must say that when I start reading the instructions I am struck by the amount of yardage called for. My general sense is that they put in the instructions far more yardage than you need. I haven't actually FOLLOWED instructions in a magazine (yet), but really am curious about the yardage requirements. Those of you who do make quilts from patterns found in magazines, what is your sense of this? Do you end up with a lot of leftover fabric? Or are the amounts just right, and I'm imagining things? Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks!

sweetpea 06-17-2013 04:33 PM

Jill; I real the some way. I have not use the yardage requirements in the magazine [yet] but is dose seam to me that they are add to the requirements. but maybe they are along for mistakes. it will be good to see what some of the other have to say about this.

Jan in VA 06-17-2013 07:58 PM

Well, the purpose of the magazine is not only to educate and stimulate the readership, but to also support their advertisers by encouraging the purchase of products. They also know that different skill levels of quilters will make these quilts, that the cutting skills are not the same, so they've allowed for lots of extra so the quilter will have enough to repeat if they make a mistake.

And then, too, the magazines and the pattern makers know that the prints they feature will be off the shelf quickly, to be replaced by the next season's collection. So the quilters often can't get more. The consensus is, better more than enough than not enough/better to err on the side of extra!

Jan in VA

Daffy Daphne 06-17-2013 11:02 PM

Off the subject, but I LOVE the kitty in your avatar! Would love to see a bigger photo.

Daffy

eparys 06-18-2013 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 6128487)
Well, the purpose of the magazine is not only to educate and stimulate the readership, but to also support their advertisers by encouraging the purchase of products. They also know that different skill levels of quilters will make these quilts, that the cutting skills are not the same, so they've allowed for lots of extra so the quilter will have enough to repeat if they make a mistake.

And then, too, the magazines and the pattern makers know that the prints they feature will be off the shelf quickly, to be replaced by the next season's collection. So the quilters often can't get more. The consensus is, better more than enough than not enough/better to err on the side of extra!

Jan in VA

Our LQS was recently featured in a 10 Best Shops edition with an original quilt. The owner talked about the fabric requirements the magazine wanted. I was amazed at the "extra" amounts figured in but after talking with her decided that as Jan stated - with limited amounts of a run of fabric, it is better to have fabric left over than to run out if a mistake was made.

Nammie to 7 06-18-2013 05:51 AM

I usually buy what the magazine recommend and really haven't had issues with what is left over - I use that in scrappy quilts. I would rather have too much than too little!

Cyn 06-18-2013 05:54 AM

Good question! Thanks!

snipforfun 06-18-2013 07:00 AM

The opposite can happen too! Wrong measurement and come up short. Frustrating! I think it is probably a good idea to not jump into a magazine project until corrections can be posted on their websites. And, there are lots of them! Lots of errors in books as well as magazines.

DOTTYMO 06-18-2013 07:34 AM

I am doing the labryth walk quilt from last years magazine. Beforeurchase I priced it including batting. £150 .
I was suited and have been buying in small amounts it is getting close.
It is amazing how much material we use in any quilt. I am always shocked by the backing amount.

mckwilter 06-18-2013 08:59 AM

I always check, too, to see if they are cutting width of fabric or length of fabric. Many patterns call for length of fabric when cutting borders and sashings. I have found, too, that many patterns have figured a bit extra fabric in tneir requirements. However, as I usually try to keep things simple, if a pattern calls for less than a full yard, I will round up, for example, if it calls for 2-3/4 yds, I will just buy 3 yds. I figure any extra will either get sent to my sister who makes potholders or will go into my applique fabric stash.