Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Another beginner question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/another-beginner-question-t210390.html)

Sarah in Brooklyn 01-07-2013 07:04 PM

Another beginner question

I'm starting to look at tutorials for paper piecing. It seems like it's pretty much SOP for intricate block designs. Do most of you do it? What kind of paper do you use? Is there a tutorial here somewhere? I searched, but couldn't find anything specific. It seems like a good technique to learn - curious to hear what you all have to say.

Patti25314 01-07-2013 07:13 PM

I took Peggy Martin's paper piecing class from Craftsy and loved it. She recommended using regular copy paper, and I found it worked really well. I'm sure there must be something on Utube. Have you looked there?

Milli 01-07-2013 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Sarah in Brooklyn (Post 5770216)
I'm starting to look at tutorials for paper piecing. It seems like it's pretty much SOP for intricate block designs. Do most of you do it? What kind of paper do you use? Is there a tutorial here somewhere? I searched, but couldn't find anything specific. It seems like a good technique to learn - curious to hear what you all have to say.

I learned from Carol Doak.

Lori S 01-07-2013 07:26 PM

I use regular copy paper and a short stitch lenght (1.0). Some use news print , but I can't get it to run through my copier without jamming. I am sure Carol Doak has instructions on her web site. It did take me a bit to gat the hang of it, but once I did .. wow what wonderful results ! One hint ... when you first start increase the size of the fabric pieces, till you get the hang of it.

Dolphyngyrl 01-07-2013 07:30 PM

youtube has awesome tutorials. that's how I learned

Tropical 01-07-2013 09:06 PM

I learned from a tutorial on

www.craftygemini.com

She does great tutorials. Go to the site and click on tutorials and scroll down to the quilting section and locate the title for pp. :):):)

DOTTYMO 01-07-2013 11:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cheap photocopier paper is great. And as stated above small stitches make it easier to rip paper off but not to undo, so no mistakes. I found when I started that the hardest part was step one. One number 1 or a depending on how it is marked place colour 1and2 right sides together 2 on top on the side of paper with no writing,pin. Sew on line between 1 and2 fold 2 back trim seam allowance. Continue same way makes more sense now.this is a pattern which I put in show but judges disliked category I had placed it. All fabric in cactus hand dyed.

AnnieH 01-08-2013 12:00 AM

Impressive PP. Dottymo.
Annie

grma33 01-08-2013 03:30 AM

have been paper piecing for years but had great sucess with craftsy 2012 free bom can`t rember what month think it was the flying geese block ckeck to see if its still up
she taught to perforate thre lines first with machine needle and no thread takes extra time but sure worked great
Gale

NJ Quilter 01-08-2013 03:47 AM

Paper piecing is a great method for very intricate blocks or those with really fine points. It does take some time to get the hang of the process. I, too, just use copy paper because it's what's handy. Definitely reduce your stitch length for ease of taking off paper - which you dont' do until the block is complete. Does make for great difficulty in fixing booboos, though! I've heard others use vellum paper as well. And as someone else mentioned, definitely cut your fabric pieces way oversize until you really get the hang of the process. For first section, place wrong side of fabric to back of paper making sure all lines are covered by at least 1/2". For section 2, again, making sure you have at least 1/2 of fabric all the way around for that section, put that piece of fabric right side to right side of first piece of fabric, best (in my opinion) to line up edges with section 1 fabric. Sew on line between sections 1 and 2. Fold back paper to sewing line, trim that seam to 1/4". Press the daylights out of it making sure it's really, really, flat. Proceed to section 3, etc. Good luck. It can be a very tedious process but one that makes some incredible blocks/quilts.