Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   another binding question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/another-binding-question-t61990.html)

quiltingnonie 08-29-2010 07:56 AM

OK, dumb question:
I purchased Wright's satin blanket binding for a baby quilt - have never used one before. It is folded, 2" wide, with a finished edge. When sewing it onto the quilt, how much of the quilt edge 'fits' into the binding? 1/4"? 1/2"? Instructions say just to sew to the edge of the blanket. I am concerned about the edge on the back not being stitched if I don't have it perfectly straight. I really don't want to put the binding totally over the edge of the quilt, as 2" would cut off a lot of my quilt design. Also, do you miter the corners just like on a regular quilt binding?

It's hard for old dogs to learn new tricks sometimes :lol:

CoriAmD 08-29-2010 08:03 AM

when I use this satin binding, I allow extra fabric around the edge of my quilt to accomodate the entire binding to go over the quilt. Then I zig zag it on. That way you have it on solidly and not lose the pattern of the quilt. Can you add an extra border to do this? Since it will be under the binding, it can just be a neutral color the same color as the binding (of course, you want it to match the quilt). Hope that makes sense... :)

quiltingnonie 08-29-2010 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by CoriAmD
when I use this satin binding, I allow extra fabric around the edge of my quilt to accomodate the entire binding to go over the quilt. Then I zig zag it on. That way you have it on solidly and not lose the pattern of the quilt. Can you add an extra border to do this? Since it will be under the binding, it can just be a neutral color the same color as the binding (of course, you want it to match the quilt). Hope that makes sense... :)

So, like add an extra 2" border all the way around - just a single layer of fabric?

bearisgray 08-29-2010 09:10 AM

I think I'd try to get it as "bulky" as the rest of the quilt.

Of course, there is no "law" that says you can't just sew the satin binding just to the edge of the quilt you've made. It might be a bit floppy, but so what?

Prism99 08-29-2010 09:51 AM

I think if you add a border it needs to be as thick as the rest of the quilt. What you could probably do is just zigzag a border sandwich onto the edge (maybe 1.5 inch border) edge-to-edge, then cover up the join with your wide binding (2 inches wide).

Sassy913 08-29-2010 08:30 PM

Like old blankets my mother had with the satin binding all around, the fabric fits into the entire 2" piece. May seem wasteful but it works much better this way and the binding holds it shape much better. If you do not want to waste thee design fabrice. just sew on a 1.5 in band all around and use that to insert into the folded binding. Have fun and remember, there is not one way above another. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

quiltingnonie 08-30-2010 06:40 AM

Thank you ladies, for your input. I think I will add an additional 1.5" border. I have lots of leftover quilt batting strips, so think I will use that, so it will not be so flimsy, and baby can rub his/her face with it!

Holice 08-30-2010 07:22 AM

This is what I would do. I would make strips of the three layers - backing, batting, top fabric. Make sure the edge of your now sandwiched quilt is straight and smooth and then add the added piece by butting it against the other and then zig zag it to the base quilt. This will retain your 1/4" seam allowance. I think most satin binding is made to be sewned without turn under. I believe the binding should be full to retain both look, wear and some stability otherwise the softer fabric withoug binding will flop in the wind.