Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Another international shipping dilemma ... advice please? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/another-international-shipping-dilemma-advice-please-t71449.html)

Favorite Fabrics 10-21-2010 09:01 AM

Looking for information/advice from anyone in the UK.

For the second time this month, we've had a package returned to us from the UK. On the outside of the package it says "Not Called For". This means the customer was not home when Royal Mail tried to deliver it. Presumably a notice was left for her, to tell her that there was a package waiting for her. The notice should have been left on August 22, and the package was apparently at her Post Office until October 13th, when it began its return journey to us.

UK quilters... is Royal Mail generally good about leaving those notices advising you that you have a package? How much of a chance is there that a notice was never left?

Ready for the twists and turns of the saga? On October 2nd this customer e-mailed us to tell us that she had not received the package, though she had received our e-mail notification that we had sent a package back on August 12th. We responded by telling her (again) what the package number was, and suggesting that she check with her local Post Office to ask if they were holding a package for her. She e-mailed us again on October 6th to say that she had checked at the Post Office and they did not have a package for her.

Something's not right, because I have the package in front of me now and it was stamped by Royal Mail as being returned on October 13th!

UK people, does this sort of thing happen a lot? What have your experiences been?

np3 10-21-2010 09:19 AM

This is actually kind of sad. The costs over there are so high and the opportunity to buy fabric here and have it shipped is a good one. And then things like this happen.

loopywren 10-21-2010 09:22 AM

In my area the postman will usually try various neighbours to see if someone is in to take the package, they put a card in your door to let you know where it is, whether back at the sorting office or the neighbour..If at the sorting office you can either pick it up yourself or it can be re-delivered on a day to suit you. This should happen in all areas, if there is a complaint it has to be made by the sender at their post office, what happens when that is oversees I don't know. Normally they only hold it for 7 days so they went extra for your parcel. They are usually very good at returning packages to the sender if not delivered. I cannot think of a reason it wasn't delivered. I wonder if the lady is going to her post office for it and not her local postal sorting office which is where it goes back too. May be worth checking with her. pm me if you need any further help, I will do all I can to help resolve this for you.

loopywren 10-21-2010 09:25 AM

Sorry I have just re read your thread... If the lady went to the post office they will not know where the parcel is, she needs to contact the sorting office.

peaceandjoy 10-21-2010 09:28 AM

When we send packages from our school (which is pretty regularly because of the International Baccalaureate program), we no longer send them via USPS. Rather, we use UPS. USPS has pretty much told us that they have not way to track packages when they leave the states, regarless of the mailing method. UPS, on the other hand, will track at all times at no extra cost. This is true whether we are sending the package to the UK, South Africa, or any other country that you can name.

BellaBoo 10-21-2010 09:40 AM

I would take a picture of the package showing the stamped return and email it to her. It wasn't your fault, you shipped it. If she wants it reshipped she will have to pay postage again. She can sort out what happened with her postal service. There is nothing you could have done about the package being returned.

Favorite Fabrics 10-21-2010 09:42 AM

I don't think that Royal Mail would have left the package with a neighbor, because there was 11.79 GBP in fees/VAT due. (That's about 18 USD.)

We learned years ago not to use FedEx or UPS for international shipments, because if the customer refused to pay the fees, WE would get stuck with it. And their fees are higher. Yes, you do get great package tracking, but at quite a cost.

Trouble is... we had to pay our mailman $13.45 when he brought the package back to us!

watterstide 10-21-2010 09:43 AM

my mom lives in england, for over 25 years, i have Never had a package come back to me,ever. i sent them over at birthdays and holidays. don't know what is going on.

edited to add: we have always shipping USPS

loopywren 10-21-2010 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
I don't think that Royal Mail would have left the package with a neighbor, because there was 11.79 GBP in fees/VAT due. (That's about 18 USD.)

We learned years ago not to use FedEx or UPS for international shipments, because if the customer refused to pay the fees, WE would get stuck with it. And their fees are higher. Yes, you do get great package tracking, but at quite a cost.

Trouble is... we had to pay our mailman $13.45 when he brought the package back to us!

I still feel the problem could be that she went to the post office.... over here that is where you post the parcel, buy stamps etc, but not where you pick up parcels.. that will be the sorting office and it is the only thing they do. The other thought of course is that she may have not realised she had to pay for it to be delivered over here and didn't want to pay... I would not have known if I had not read this board.

Favorite Fabrics 10-21-2010 10:09 AM

[quote=loopywren
The other thought of course is that she may have not realised she had to pay for it to be delivered over here and didn't want to pay... I would not have known if I had not read this board.[/quote]

That had occurred to me too...