Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Another ironing board use (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/another-ironing-board-use-t391.html)

Joyce 01-08-2007 04:13 PM

This is something that I did to make an adjustable type table that still has knee room if you need it.
Cut a piece of 3/8ths inch plywood, 24"x60".
Take an old ironing board that is adjustable in height and has a mesh type metal top.
Bolt the plywood to the top of the ironing board by going through the holes in the mesh top.
Either pad it, and cover it with duck cloth, or buy one of June Tailors ironing pads that has the grid already printed on it. JoAnn's usually has them.
The one from June Taylor will not be accurate as far as using the measurement grid because it has not been preshrunk would be my guess.
If you make your own, you can preshrink the fabric with steam, and then make your own grid using a ruler and an indelible Sharpie.
This makes a great ironing board for pressing fabric widths.
You can extend the size of another smaller table by placing this next to it and adjusting for height.
Joyce

Suz 01-09-2007 11:51 AM

Joyce,
What a wonderful suggestion! I will be looking for an additional ironing board to make same. Thanks. Suzanne

Becky 01-09-2007 03:06 PM

Great FYI, I will defintely, make one. Thanks-so-Much

rachel moreland 01-11-2007 05:46 AM

I found a wonderful, sturdy, adjustable ironing board with the mesh top at the thrift shop for $3.00. It is just like the one I had as a bride in the 50's. It is so much sturdier and more stable than many of the newer ironing boards.
I had found an antique (?) oversized ironing board that folks used to lay across the top of 2 dining room chair backs to use. My grandson screwed it to the ironing board and I love it. I padded mine with a wool throw rug that needed a home and then use an ironing pad over that.
It can be folded up and put away, but I never do. It sits beside my sewing machine and is a wonderful work space for cutting, ironing, or holding a quilt while I stitch the binding down by hand.

Suz 01-13-2007 03:50 PM

Hey Ladies and One Gentleman: I purchased a very nice ironing board at Goodwill on Friday for $3.99. Guess what is next? Suz

Winnie 01-19-2007 07:29 AM

Joyce, I made a similar type of board to yours but made the top portable. I took a piece of 3/4" plywood and covered it in padding and then a flannel covering. I stapled it underneath. I turned the big board upside down on the floor. Then I turned the ironing board upside down on the covered wood and marked 5 places on it -2 along the sides, 2 along the "curve" and one at the end. Then I screwed a 6" piece of 1' x 2" wood at each of these places. These hold the board snugly in place. That way I can remove the big top and put it away if I want to use the ironing board.

Sis 01-19-2007 01:30 PM

What is the length and width of the 3/4 plywood? Yours sounds like a great adaptable idea.Thank you for sharing. :)

mary quilter 01-19-2007 03:02 PM

I also have one of these multi-purpose tables and use it often in front of the tv for hand stitching the binding. The table can be adjusted for a comfortable fit and holds the weight of the quilt. I only have the part I'm working on in my lap. When I am inevitably interrupted, it is easy to pile the quilt on the table and poke my needle into the table covering so I can find it easily when I get back. Saves looking for a safe place to lay the quilt so it doesn't get sat on by someone or something hairy! Mary Ann

Winnie 01-20-2007 05:07 AM

The width of the board is 20" and the length is about 6" longer than your ironing board. I used 3/4 " plywood because that's what we happened to have on hand , but you could use 1/2" or 5/8" The little blocks which were glued and screwed in place were 6" long. The 3/4 " plywood makes it fairly heavy to lift off but for the number of times I actually iron it's not a problem.

mimisharon 01-22-2007 09:57 AM

hmmm, I may need to go to the Salvation Army and the Good Will stores tomorrow. Y'all have made me very happy in finding a new craft/quilting table. Now, would you mind coming on over and reorganizing my office/sewing/crafting room??? It's small and stacked from ceiling to floor...but it shouldn't take YOU long to finish. Oh, I'll clean out the shelves that are stacked and full from the closet (well, it used to be) I'll sit right here with my coffee and wait for you after that, ok? :)