Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Another "light bulb" moment (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/another-light-bulb-moment-t197160.html)

joyce888 08-09-2012 02:07 PM

Another "light bulb" moment

Had to stop working on my sewing room organization today to get my block done for class Saturday and had a "Why didn't I think of this sooner?" moment. I knew my blade in my rotary cutter probably needed to be changed but couldn't remember, is it new?, have I already turned it over?, is it one of those Titanium blades that's supposed to last longer? And then it hit me! I changed the blade to the new Titanium blade and with a Sharpie fine point pen, wrote a "T" and 8/9 directly on the blade. It dried in seconds and hasn't rubbed off on my fabric. Now no more guessing!

jodimarie 08-09-2012 02:19 PM

I do the same thing to almost everything in my house....bottle of shampoo, jar of pickles, bag of sugar. I never have to ''guess'' how old something is, the date I opened it is right there in front of me. Got the trick from my Grandmother who passed away almost 35 years ago, so I feel like I am keeping part of her alive....

Raggiemom 08-09-2012 02:24 PM

Good idea. thanks for sharing!

Pinkiris 08-09-2012 04:55 PM

I started marking the date installed on batteries in our cordless phones and even in our smoke detectors. Gives us a little bit of information on how long those things last.

NikkiLu 08-09-2012 05:37 PM

What a fabulous idea!!!!! My DH is so bad with appliances, etc. and I have to spend a lot of time trying to find manuals, etc. - now I will just write on the hot water heater, etc, with a marker with the date we bought it, etc.

Originally Posted by jodimarie (Post 5429532)
I do the same thing to almost everything in my house....bottle of shampoo, jar of pickles, bag of sugar. I never have to ''guess'' how old something is, the date I opened it is right there in front of me. Got the trick from my Grandmother who passed away almost 35 years ago, so I feel like I am keeping part of her alive....

Gramie bj 08-09-2012 05:45 PM

I do this with everything!! I thought it was just a left over habit from my years as a dietary superviser! Nice to know I'm not the only one. LOL

ragamuffin 08-09-2012 06:02 PM

I do this under the light switch when we paint a room. You always wonder if it was 5 or 7 years ago when we last painted the living room. My husband laughs at me but I write it there anyway.

sylviak 08-09-2012 07:23 PM

We do that with our hot water heater and everything I freeze or can. Need to start doing that to my left-overs! And my rotary blades! And the light switch trick is great!

majormom 08-10-2012 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by jodimarie (Post 5429532)

You are a very smart cookie that I am going to copy! :-) And I'm going to copy 'Joyce 888' as well in the sewing room. I am going to cut that 'wonder how old this is' dilemma in the bud! Thank you ladies!

Deborahlees 08-10-2012 07:01 AM

I also do this and on my batteries....arn't we all soooooooooooooo smart !!!!! oh yes we are