Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Another question about glue basting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/another-question-about-glue-basting-t203793.html)

Buckeye Rose 10-20-2012 06:22 PM

Another question about glue basting

I've just found out that for the current WIP, the customer wants a smoother finish, no crinkles. So that means using poly batting. I want to try glue basting and would really like to try glue sticks. But can you iron the quilt sandwich when using poly batting without melting it? Leaving the quilt out while the glue "air dries" just isn't a feasible option since my two cats would be all over it. I will be sandwiching on my pool table so I do have a large area, just not critter free....LOL.

Lori S 10-20-2012 06:44 PM

Why not use spray basting?

Gramie bj 10-20-2012 06:53 PM

I have a cat problem to. I just through a couple of flat sheets on top and if they get on it no hair reaches my projects

ckcowl 10-21-2012 02:32 AM

yes, you can iron your quilt with polyester batting- just don't use a hot-hot iron- my iron has a polyester setting...a medium heat is ok- i press items with poly batting all the time- just don't press right on the batting- as long as fabric is covering it you will be fine.

Tashana 10-21-2012 04:54 AM

You can press it no problems. Fusible batting I once used was poly and as long as your iron is not directly on it you are fine. I did not try using glue stick for basting large quilts. I only used it on small projects. On all my large stuff I used Elmer'sSchool glue in liquid form.

PaperPrincess 10-21-2012 05:05 AM

I'd let it air dry. I'm not sure that spray basting will work with poly batting. Might be wrong, but check the info on the can before you buy.

QuiltE 10-21-2012 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 5600993)
I'd let it air dry. I'm not sure that spray basting will work with poly batting. Might be wrong, but check the info on the can before you buy.

I've used 505 spray on poly with no problems.

BRose ... if your customer wants a smooth finish .... with the loft, poly does not give smooth, rather puffy! You may want to check what s/he really wants and are anticipating, to ensure your definition is the same as what s/he wants for the outcome.

Deborahlees 10-21-2012 07:23 AM

Glue sticks are expensive and do not go very far.....I would be more inclined to go with liquid school glue and a thin cotton batting (I personally use Warm and Natural)....If your customer wants a smooth look I would be more inclined to really pre-wash all the fabric, so nothing shrinks....perhaps also your batting....I have used Elmers school glue on my last 5 quilts with no problems at all a thin drizzle works really well and drys pretty quick, I would be more inclined to recommend you put a sheet over the quilt and allow to air dry (doesn't really take that long) rather than use the iron on a whole quilt. IMHO :confused: