Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Another question about needle turn applique.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/another-question-about-needle-turn-applique-t21014.html)

bearpaw 06-06-2009 05:43 AM

2 Attachment(s)
So, I appliqued the center of the flower to the flower. I think it came out pretty good. (I have to tell you I tried appliquing on the car ride home from work (DH was driving) and it really wasn't easy!! I admire all of you that can do this in a moving car. First, trying to thread the needle was really funny - it took about 5 minutes! Then trying to keep the stitches somewhat even while the truck was hitting bumps really didn't work!.

Anyway, would you trim the flower fabric from the back of the center? I'm not sure when trimming is supposed to be done.

Thanks!

tlrnhi 06-06-2009 06:33 AM

Hey, you did better than I did!
I can't hand sew, that's why I gots my machine! :)

bearpaw 06-06-2009 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by tlrnhi
Hey, you did better than I did!
I can't hand sew, that's why I gots my machine! :)

LOL! I've done some machine applique. I still haven't gotten the hang of the buttonhole stitch - the corners always look awful!

tlrnhi 06-06-2009 06:48 AM

I have a TON of stitches my machine does. I just play around with them and find the one that I think looks good.

2 Doods 06-06-2009 06:52 AM

I think that looks great. I keep a few pre-threaded needles for using in the car. I can only work on it if we are on a straight hyway-I get motion sickness :cry:

Leslee 06-06-2009 07:33 AM

Keeping the background fabric in one piece helps stabilize the block. I rarely cut anything away unless the applique gets too layered, like if you decided to add one more circle on top of the one you've showed us. If you tried hand quilting through all those layers, plus the batting and the backing...that can get frustrating real fast!

You do beautiful stitching. Keep up the good work!

kluedesigns 06-06-2009 07:45 AM

i would keep it in unless you plan to hand quilt too.

sewing machines can quilt through many layers but hand quilting is really hard work.

if you're going to put this onto the background fabric and thats the end of the layers you should be fine for hand quilting. if you're going to be adding another layer or 2 before putting it on the background i'd consider clipping some of those layers........

either that or start lifting weights in the gym to build up your strength for hand quilting :D

k3n 06-06-2009 08:02 AM

Can't add anything - great advice from klue! BUT just wanted to say, excellent work! Your circle is perfect!

bearpaw 06-06-2009 08:51 AM

Thanks 2 Doods for the tip, that's a great idea!

Thanks Leslee and Klue, the flower is going directly on the background, so that will be it for the layers.

Klue, lifting weights in the gym????? That would just take away from quilting time!! I'm pretty sure I'm going to machine quilt this one, so that solves this problem!!

Thanks K!

amma 06-06-2009 09:41 AM

Looks great!!! Ya done good :D :D :D
I think you have just described a new sport...bumper applique...all you need is a bumpy ride, handwork and needle...a few bandaids...and you are good to go 8)