Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Another Walmart Closes the Fab Dept (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/another-walmart-closes-fab-dept-t110744.html)

JUNEC 03-25-2011 06:02 PM

DH & I went to the Walmart near us. They are remodeling it - so guess what? - Correct, they got rid of the fabric & for that matter the whole sewing department.

Today they were reorganizing all the departments - I couldn't find anything. Shelves were being moved from one end of the store to the other. They were half emty. UGH

However, besides the ice cream (they were out of Mocha Mudslide) and the Ice Cream Cake (my FIL will be 96 on Monday)- I found 2 quilt rulers (6" x 24" ) - for $4.50 in their clearance aisle. They have found a loving home.

erstan947 03-25-2011 06:08 PM

:thumbup:

Painiacs 03-25-2011 06:44 PM

I don't care for WM and apt of ppl in our area agree! They try to under sell everyone but a few cents! Ours is very hot! You can't find anything made in USA. And I only go for fabric and dog stuff I can't get anywhere else. I don't think Sam would be happy with his store now!!

CarrieAnne 03-25-2011 06:54 PM

Oursa got rid of the fabric too. I was so sad!

Tartan 03-25-2011 07:15 PM

Our Walmart also closed the bolt fabric department. They have a few cut packages and a few notions. You would think that with quilting being a billion dollar industry, they would wise up. I prefer shopping at my LQS but sometimes I need something when it isn't open. Oh, Well.

grammysews4u 03-25-2011 07:30 PM

Im so glad you adopted the rulers!!! what a great buy for you. :)

Jill 03-25-2011 07:48 PM

Before we got our own Walmart (without fabric of course) I used to shop at one about 15 miles from my house and they had a good sized fabric department, sewing machines, batting, etc. I stopped there yesterday and of course the fabric is gone, replaced by the 2 yard cuts of various fabrics, some batting, 3 or 4 sewing machines and yarn. That was it. How depressing. I've sent WM an email and called them about that particular store, so we'll see. I'm not holding out much hope however.

Mariposa 03-25-2011 07:54 PM

Our WM is the same-no fabric bolts, and a sewing item or two. More yarn than that. Bummer!

FQ Stash Queen 03-25-2011 07:58 PM

I travel all over the country for a living, and it is my understanding from Walmart that they are redoing their "fabric" section so that it is a "quilting" section. Their new fat quarters and muslins, as well as kits, etc., are better quality than JoAnn's or Hancock's. I think you'll just have to be patient as it is "coming to a store near you".

cedarvalleyquilts 03-25-2011 08:18 PM

Our local Walmart first got rid of the cross stitching supplies, not that there was much more the DMC thread to begin with. Next, the entire sewing department was eliminated.....this was 2 years ago, and there are no plans to bring it back. Not that I was crazy about what they carried, but it was the point of not having anything at all.