Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Antique Quilt Care (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/antique-quilt-care-t196311.html)

CGengler 07-31-2012 04:55 AM

Antique Quilt Care

I recently acquired 2 quilts that are over 100 years old.. Aren't I lucky.... I want to make sure that I care for them properly and am asking if I can wash them in my machine on a hand wash cycle. If so, what detergent should I use..

Thank you in advance for any and all advice.

nygal 07-31-2012 05:00 AM

I'd love to see a picture of them!

Lori S 07-31-2012 05:34 AM

When I was at the Smithsonian a few years back .. they do not wash any of the vintage quilts. When they are recieved they use a vacuum with a screen on the nossle and use one that has a low setting .
That being said if it was me I would machine wash on gentle cycle at a laundry mat that has a high capacity washer . Not being sure of your washers capacity or agitation method.. sometimes just stuffing a large quilt in to a washer the quilts movement can be restricted , then the agitation can strain/stress fibers that are already strained just getting it into the machine.
Hand washing /soaking in the tub is an option , just use a plastic laundry basket to remove it from the tub. Cotton fibers are their weakest when wet.

ghostrider 07-31-2012 05:55 AM

I have several of my great-grandmother's quilts (circa 1890-1920) and nothing on earth would ever make me wash them. The vacuum procedure that Lori mentioned is what the appraiser advised me to do, and that alone. Seek the advice of a textile appraiser or conservator...museums, historical societies, antiques dealers, etc can usually help as well. You cannot undo a mistake, so be cautious.

ptquilts 07-31-2012 06:01 AM

I would never put an antique quilt in a washing machine. I have washed many by hand, in the bathtub, with good results. Not to say I would wash ALL antique quilts. Some should not be washed.

jaciqltznok 07-31-2012 06:19 AM

I have a book called "caring for your quilts" by Hallye Bone from the KS city star books. It is about conservation repair and storage and like others here have said..NEVER put a vintage quilt in a washing machine...the fabrics might look OK, but they are fragile and our water, detergents, etc will destroy them quickly. Hand washing/soaking with the proper soap in a tub is ok IF you must wash it...other than they suggest line hanging or laying flat in the sun(about an hour each side on the grass) and fresh air to naturally cleanse them, spot cleaning with oxyclean if needed, and leaving them alone for the most part. The state textile historian here told me to NOT wash lastest find that is about 117 years old...she said most of the fabrics were hand dyed with plant matter and washing would kill them. So...dirty quilt it is....I found it in a barn..heheheh

jillaine 07-31-2012 09:55 AM

thanks for the tips about the vacuum cleaner with attachment. I just acquired an antique quilt myself. very helpful info. thanks.