Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Antique quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/antique-quilts-t205315.html)

GrannieAnnie 11-07-2012 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 5640607)
I would also use a bath tub, with a mild detergent. I would also put a sheet on the bottom of the tub. When done washing, drain the tub and gently squeeze the water out, then use the sheet to lift the quilt out so there is no strain on the fabric.

Great idea with the sheet under to support the quilt.

QuiltingLubAS2C9 11-07-2012 06:48 AM

I purchased an antique sun bonnet sue quilt top, 49 blocks, with sashing and corner stones. I custom quilted it on my longarm. It had stains and I wanted to show it in the fair. I took it to a commercial washing center, used a large front loading washer, added 4 color catchers, washed on gentle and prayed. Came out fine, lots of color on the catchers but no fading on the quilt. Then I machine dried it in the large dryers. It came out so pretty and soft and clean. I did take second prize at the fair on it in the antique quilt section.

irishrose 11-07-2012 07:19 AM

I wash two quilts from the 50s all the time. Fill the washer with your detergent in it. Put in the quilt and let it soak a few minutes, then agitate, spin and rinse on gentle for the short wash cycle. I switch my washer to the regular cycle for the last spin to remove as much water as possible to cut down on dryer time. Dry in a large dryer until almost dry and spread it out to dry - a sheet protecting the back of the couch works for me. One of the quilts looks new and the one I used heavily looks used, but not from washing.

Lori S 11-07-2012 07:47 AM

It is a personal belief of mine that using a quilt is honoring a quilt. I would machine wash gentle.

Pam Riggs 11-07-2012 07:56 AM

I would either have it dry cleaned or take it to a laundrymat and use one of the big washers...then take it home and line dry it. I hang my things out on the line all the way up to freezing weather. If the sun shines, my sheets are on the line! But seriously, dry cleaning would be the best way to go, I think.

AliKat 11-07-2012 08:17 AM

I asked a well known quilt historian/restorer this question.

She suggested using Synthropol and my bathtub so there wouldn't be damage from agitation.

ali

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 11-07-2012 08:24 AM

I'd wash it. What use is a quilt you can't wash? If you can never wash it, even just hanging up it is going to get awfully dusty some day.

Greenheron 11-07-2012 08:30 AM

Listen to the 'bathtub advocates'. (Hadn't heard of the sheet beneath for lifting...great idea.)

TinkerQuilts 11-07-2012 10:49 AM

I would recommend not dry cleaning. As many board members have said, the chemicals used in that process can destroy a quilt. I advised my MIL not to dry clean a quilt I gave to her and Dad. She gave it back to me five years later to repair, and said that I told her it must be dry cleaned. She was confused I guess, but it was too far gone for repairs.

QuiltingCrazie 11-09-2012 08:27 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks for all your advise and help!! Here are the pics of the quilt. Thanks again!