Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Any advice on an Embroidery only machine?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/any-advice-embroidery-only-machine-t97754.html)

sueisallaboutquilts 02-07-2011 09:01 PM

Hi everyone,
I've searched the posts and can't find any answers that are recent.
I would love to get an embroidery only machine. I'd like one that isn't too limited as I heard some only do small things.
I don't want to spend a fortune but want something that does nice embroidery.
Thanks for any advice!!
Sue

scowlkat 02-07-2011 09:33 PM

Check out the Janome 350E machine. USB connectivity, 5 x 7 and gigahoop size capability. Janome quality.

QuiltDraggon 02-07-2011 09:36 PM

I got the Janome 350E last fall and love it. I haven't had a minutes problem with it and basically plugged it in and started using it. I don't regret the purchase at all.

jdiane318 02-07-2011 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by scowlkat
Check out the Janome 350E machine. USB connectivity, 5 x 7 and gigahoop size capability. Janome quality.

I have the Janome 350E and love it. It is very user friendly, has 3 built in fonts as well as 70+ built in designs. I purchased a external hard drive to use instead of having to hook it up to my computer to use. It has the automated thread cutter as well as a warning for a low bobbin. It was a major investment for me but am happy with it. There is nothing like making something for someone and being able to personalize it, too. I make my quilt labels, too, along with tea towels, pot holders, aprons. I have had no issues with my machine at all. I began with a Brother combo and within a week I knew that I wanted a machine that would do more, the Janome 350E was it.

sueisallaboutquilts 02-08-2011 12:34 PM

I've been checking prices and they all look to be about 1000.00-
Not aware of why I have to hook it up to a computer- that's how much I don't know about them!
I saw a dealer near me who sells them, it's a LQS.
Thanks to all for advice! :)

PaperPrincess 02-08-2011 12:40 PM

I've had a couple of brother's with no problems. My sister and niece also haven't had any issues. I saw a couple on allbrands for around $700. You don't really need to hook it directly to your computer, but if you download embroidery designs from the internet, you need a way to get them into your machine. You can hook it directly to your PC or put the designs on a usb stick (thumb drive) and transfer them that way.

qnana 02-08-2011 12:45 PM

Susan, I really like my 350E Janome. You don't hook it up to a computer to operate, but you can download designs from a computer; I put them onto a memory card. It has lots of built in designs and can do a range of sizes. It is the most fun machine I have ever owned! I still marvel, just watching it sit there and turn out beautiful things!

sueisallaboutquilts 02-08-2011 01:16 PM

Does that price I keep seeing look right???

Fab-ra-holic 02-08-2011 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Does that price I keep seeing look right???

Susan,
I just purchased my Janome 300 for 1000.00. The 350 would have been 300.00 more. The 300 has all the same feature except you can't use a memory stick, only the pc card which is basically the same thing. The other difference was, it does not have the thread cutter. I didn't find either of these differences worth 300.00 for MY budget. I absolutely love, love, love it. And, I have already download quite a few free designs off the internet.

Happy shopping
Peggy

Candy Apple Quilts 02-08-2011 01:41 PM

Janome and Brother are both great brands!