Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Any recommendations for an iron? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/any-recommendations-iron-t210075.html)

quiltingeileen 01-04-2013 02:01 PM

Any recommendations for an iron?

Hi everyone. My iron stopped working today and I need to get one this weekend. I'm looking for recommendations on which irons are best for quilters. Thanks so much.
Eileen

Jackie Spencer 01-04-2013 02:14 PM

Do you want steam? Sometimes I don't want steam, and I don;t want those little circles from a steam iron, even when its dry, especially for applique. I just ordered a dry iron from Vermont's Country Store for $ 29.00, $5.00 shipping.

Justquilting 01-04-2013 02:16 PM

I've never had any luck with Rowanta...I've had 3 and they never lasted A year.

Toni C 01-04-2013 02:20 PM

You will get a bunch of answers to this one. I have had the expensive ones and the el cheapo ones. Cheap was best for me. if I could find one without the auto shut off (I'm a big girl and can remember to shut it off) I'm a happy camper. Some peeps put their iron and a lamp on same surge protector and when they turn it on its all on. So that way the lamp on, you know your iron is on

TinkerQuilts 01-04-2013 02:37 PM

I had a Rowenta overheat on me last November, and it burned part of a quilt block I was working on - it was about 1 1/2 years old. I've had better luck with the inexpensive ones, Sunbeam and Black & Decker.

mandyrose 01-04-2013 03:06 PM

I so agree with justquilting I too had 3 rowantas didn't last more then a year thougt is was my water I don't have a water softer system and have very extreme hard water pia for cleaning bathroom but any way i get the cheapos the fancy irons didn't make me a better quilter anyway lol

nativetexan 01-04-2013 03:27 PM

just not a Rowenta. many have caught fire. had mine for yrs and it finally blew out my power cord.
i now have a cheap Shark. works fine.

peggy119 01-04-2013 04:37 PM

I just ordered one from Kohl's called a Delonghi. It was on sale for $59.99 and I had a coupon for 15% off, so it brought it down to $51.00. I have never had one, but they got good reviews. I have had 4 rowenta's and you would have thought I would learn. They have all leaked and spit on my fabric and clothes. Once they have started spitting, they are done. Good luck. There are sew many to pick from!

Justquilting 01-04-2013 04:39 PM

Go with the cheap ones. I've had a sunbeam for over a year & only paid $20.00 or it...if it blows up tomorrow I'll get another.

sewmany 01-04-2013 04:48 PM

I have one Rowenta for regular ironing but too heavy for everyday quilting. The quilting rowenta did start spitting water so I only use it without steam. I tried switching to a better iron and for my birthday I asked for the Obiso. After 3 days it started to malfunction and decided to return it. It was the type of iron you leave laying flat and it springs down when you touch it. and back up when you let go. Soon it started not to want to go up. Was too affraid of catching fire. hmmmmmm.... back to the manufacture it was sent.