Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Anybody heard of a Nelco sewing machine? Worth fixing up? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anybody-heard-nelco-sewing-machine-worth-fixing-up-t35338.html)

1screech 05-19-2013 07:57 AM

Have you cleaned and oiled it, rethreaded it, changed the needle? All of these things can make tension off. I have been searching for a manual.

Nammie to 7 05-19-2013 08:14 AM

Getting an estimate from your dealer sounds like a really good idea. Then you can decide what to do with it.

bartack 07-14-2013 03:48 PM

Hello to all. I just joined this forum after searching with Google for a question I have, about a Nelco machine I recently purchased.

My question is... Does anyone know if it is possible to repair the stud that carries the upper tension discs, spring, and adjustment knob? The one that I have is loose and comes out of the casing. Might someone know how to fix it?

From the looks of the stud/post itself, and looking in the hole where it goes, it seems there is a set screw or a roll pin that locks it in place and may have come loose, but I don't know for sure. Where it goes is one of the most difficult places to see inside of the casing from other open areas, looking in. I hope this was understandable.

Help!

JustAbitCrazy 07-14-2013 08:24 PM

bartack, I think you should post your question on the "antique and vintage machines" discussions. There are many very knowledgeable people there who all love vintage machines and know just about everything there is to know about them. Actually, that would probably be a good idea for the owner of the Nelco machine, too.

bartack 07-14-2013 10:51 PM

JustAbit,

Good idea and, ... done.

HeatherSyl 08-30-2013 01:52 PM

Get rid of it. Old appliances are covered in lead paint.

annlhilliker 09-29-2014 08:42 AM

I have one that I purchased when my first born was due, she is now 45 years old. I use it on a daily basis. The biggest thing with adjusting the tension, is first to know how to do it correctly and to play with it. If the tread is too close to the top your bobbin is not tight enough, etc. I couldn't live without mine . . I can sew real fast with it, I can sew Leather with it . . and I do everything from clothes to quilts and all of our law enforcements and EMT patches

Stitchnripper 09-29-2014 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by HeatherSyl (Post 6264625)
Get rid of it. Old appliances are covered in lead paint.

Is this really true? The vintage section is chock a block with old machines and I've never heard about lead paint before. Can you give us a reference pertaining to sewing machines? thanks.

Cari-in-Oly 09-29-2014 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper (Post 6908612)
Is this really true? The vintage section is chock a block with old machines and I've never heard about lead paint before. Can you give us a reference pertaining to sewing machines? thanks.

Alyce,
No it's not true, and seeing's how that was the only post she ever made, I don't think she was here very long. Sewing machines were first japanned, then went to a heavy enamel paint.
And Nelco machines were Japanese made and not affiliated in any way with the Italian Necchi's other than being imported by the same distributor until Necchi canned him for it.

Cari

ManiacQuilter2 09-29-2014 04:18 PM

I would just ask around for suggestions on a good sewing machine repair man. I know of one where I live. They usually can find the problem easily and will give you an estimate on what it will cost. Your DSM may just need a tune up like a car to get everything adjusted properly which will run about $100 depending on where you live.