Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Anyone else on a budget? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-else-budget-t105576.html)

deedum 03-06-2011 06:24 PM

I decided to put myself on a monthly budget! Somebody had to! I was getting out of control :) Imagine that! Just wondering if anyone else is on a budget and what tips can you share?

I decided to put x amount of cash in a envelope and write on the envelope each time I make a purchase. When I run out of money for the month then I am done!

marilynr 03-06-2011 06:29 PM

My daughter & SIN do their budget this way very successfully.
I do not need this way because I am naturally thrifty, but it definitely is a good method.

Lori S 03-06-2011 06:32 PM

I do the same. for fabric . I also allow what was left to carry over to the next month. Its been working so far., but I am also particiapting in the fabric moretorium so I'll have quite a bit in that envelope when .. I just can't take it and have to make a splurge.
It really helps. I also used a budget when I attended a big quilt show , because it was too easy to get carried away.

IrelandDragonQuilting 03-06-2011 06:32 PM

Most definitely, I also put myself on a limit as to how many projects I have going at one time. If not I will have to many pending projects to do and will overwhelm myself :)

carolaug 03-06-2011 06:32 PM

If you are fabric shopping bring cash...not a credit card. That way you will not over spend and you will really think about what you really want.
I also skipped on the internet service for my cell phone...I can do without that high cost. - canceled the house phone 3 years ago..nope we do not miss it.

carolaug 03-06-2011 06:36 PM

This is good...me too...no more than two at a time. I do build stashes though. I buy 1 yard here and there or 3 yeards of backing material when I see a good sale.

Originally Posted by IrelandDragonQuilting
Most definitely, I also put myself on a limit as to how many projects I have going at one time. If not I will have to many pending projects to do and will overwhelm myself :)

redvette54 03-06-2011 06:37 PM

I don't buy anything with a credit card, use coupons, if I'm going to Joann's. At the end of each day, I put my change in a jar. Once or twice a year, I cash in my change and take a day trip to Shipsawana.

quilter711 03-06-2011 06:42 PM

I have made the decision to only buy fabric for a project. No more stash building! It is to hard to find more fabric from your stash if you don't have enough to finish a project.

deedum 03-06-2011 06:47 PM

I am pretty thrifty as a rule, except when it comes to this quilting thing! I still buy on sale but it is easy to get carried away! Of course, I was busy building a stash, but now I think it is time to get control. I say that as I bought 2 singers today! Still within my budget *smiles*

Jill 03-06-2011 06:47 PM

I have lived on a budget my whole adult life. It drives my DH crazy but he realizes he is terrible with money so I handle the finances. A year ago I stopped buying so much fabric and started using my stash. I only buy for special gifts or when I need some backing. I also use coupons at JoAnn's and Hobby Lobby. I have always made it a habit to transfer money left in checking over to savings on paydays. Sometimes it isn't very much, but you'd be surprised how quickly it can add up.