Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Anyone Else Do This? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-else-do-t229462.html)

Neesie 09-04-2013 02:46 PM

Anyone Else Do This?

I've decided I really am my own worst enemy. Been gathering fabrics, for a couple of D9Ps. Sounds easy enough, right? Well, one is to be different blues . . . so I gathered together about a dozen blues but then discovered there were actually two different blue sets, neither really "feeling right" with the other. Back to the store, for more blues. Okay, that gave me 8 out of 9, which "felt right" together. Back to the store, for the last one. It looked great with "most" of the set but then one of the original 8 didn't seem right. Back to a different store. Found a couple new blues and decided one worked but not with the "old" new one. Today, I went back to the store again(!) and found one more hopeful blue. I'm almost afraid to set it next to the others. It's in the washer, right now. Luckily, I only need about a yard of each blue. I've exhausted Hobby Lobby, Joann's, and WalMart (WM was a major disappointment, this time). This is just a casual quilt, so I don't want to pay LQS prices. One way or another, I WILL make this work! :p

Oh, during this last trip, I found several coordinating purples! They may go with the purple paisley, I recently bought . . . or I may be forced to go back for the violet paisley (slightly different shade). I'll also need a few more purples . . . but am afraid to think about that, just now!

On the bright side, nothing will go to waste. :)

tessagin 09-04-2013 02:53 PM

Just seeing how many trips you made back and forth made me exhausted. Called DH and reminded him it was chicken night. Too tired to cook after reading your post. Gonna have a conversation with "Bud" and wait on the chicken. All this for a casual quilt. Hope you find the purple you want. Take photos of the material you have that should help you choose the purple tones. I'm thirsty.:)

leakus 09-04-2013 02:56 PM

LOL,
What ever blue doesn't match, send it over! I will find it a nice place where "it feels right".

Many times I see quilts with different shades of blues, purples and love it but it does happen to me that when I try to put them together they don't "go" together. I am currently gathering blues for a set of placemats, these will be shaped like a fish and done with strips of all different blues. I found some but same story, other just don't go.

good luck. show us a picture so we can give you our opinion. Or we can just take a pick at your project!
andrea

Lori S 09-04-2013 02:57 PM

I have been where you are... when searching for the right fabrics ... the tones or shades can be very tricky ! I can't tell you how many times I start out missing just two.. and end up with enough fabric for two or more quilts. I even take the fabrics with me , but then get home and no this one is not quite right. The search can be fun but it can also be very frustrating.

dunster 09-04-2013 03:26 PM

If 8 or 9 blues don't work together, add another 20 or 30. Then they'll all look good and play nicely together.

sew_Tracy 09-04-2013 03:28 PM

I have a rough time with blues, there are grey blue, bright blue, light blue, navy blue, etc...ad nauseam. I wish you luck!

katier825 09-04-2013 03:28 PM

I think most people tend to try to "match" fabrics together rather than pick fabrics that coordinate. Sometimes the one that you think looks "off" is the one that makes the rest sparkle. :) I like to lay some white or muslin out on the bed and toss some fabrics on it randomly. I think it helps to find the right mix.

Nammie to 7 09-04-2013 03:45 PM

I agree with Katier825 - you don't want to "match" too much or the quilt will be blah! That off one can be the one that makes the quilt a winner. I made a scrap quilt for my granddaughter using only blues from my stash. Some I thought were really going to be ugly but the whole thing came together nicely!

Neesie 09-04-2013 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 6273992)
If 8 or 9 blues don't work together, add another 20 or 30. Then they'll all look good and play nicely together.

Yeah, I could just put the two sets together. With that many different shades, it wouldn't matter so much. If this new blue doesn't work out, I may do that. Thanks for the idea! :thumbup:

Neesie 09-04-2013 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by leakus (Post 6273916)
LOL,
What ever blue doesn't match, send it over! I will find it a nice place where "it feels right".

Many times I see quilts with different shades of blues, purples and love it but it does happen to me that when I try to put them together they don't "go" together. I am currently gathering blues for a set of placemats, these will be shaped like a fish and done with strips of all different blues. I found some but same story, other just don't go.

good luck. show us a picture so we can give you our opinion. Or we can just take a pick at your project!
andrea

Ooooh! Fish! That sounds like fun! Would love to see pictures, when you finish!

I would send you my reject blues but I've almost got enough for an "other" blues quilt! :D