Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Anyone else have a problem with size? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-else-have-problem-size-t72152.html)

trif 10-24-2010 08:57 PM

So, my big problem is that I prefer to let the material speak to me and create my quilt as I go. I fall in love with fabric and then plan my quilt. I have a grace II frame to quilt on, the frame is a maximum width of 94inches of quilt space. This is a problem only because I normally don't use a pattern. Some of you may have seen my Lucy quilt, which is one of my quilts I designed as I went along enjoying my quilt, but had to stop due to size restraints. So anyone else have this problem?

mom-6 10-24-2010 09:18 PM

I have a tendancy to do much the same. I recently made two tops that I had decided were going to be backed with fleece. Both of them were about three to four inches wider than the fleece...just enough to require piecing it. What a pain!

scowlkat 10-24-2010 10:19 PM

Oh, I thought you meant did I have a problem with MY size! Which I do but am working on! Most of my quilts are wall or twin size. I am too lazy and space limited to work on anything larger although I did manage a double quilt for my sister for Christmas last year.

ckcowl 10-25-2010 04:09 AM

i used to make all my quilts HUGE!!! just could not figure out how to make them quit growning :)
i have finally in the past couple years become much better at keeping them with in 'size'.
when i reach the point of construction now; when i have the 'center' done; i take it in and lay it across the bed and start measuring...so i know how much i want to add to the sides, top and bottom...that way i can keep it under control (somewhat)

Spring 10-25-2010 04:18 AM

I have yet to finish a quilt but so far when Im planning a project the size is the first thing I plan decide. My jelly roll quilt is not behaving and it getting larger then planned everyday. I may send it off to be quilted if it gets any bigger.

Murphy 10-25-2010 06:29 AM

Mine seem to have a mind of their own and grow as well (smile). I have multiple males in my life (DH, DS's) and I think I keep thinking it always needs to cover them so it grows and grows.

quiltsRfun 10-25-2010 09:22 AM

I prefer to let the material speak to me and create my quilt as I go. I fall in love with fabric and then plan my quilt.
Same here. But I usually end up with smaller sized quilts. I'm trying to think bigger cause my beds are in need of quilts :)

hobo2000 10-25-2010 11:11 AM

I am doing a quilt for #2 sons and it is 115 x 115 so it won't work on our Lizzie. I have been thing of doing it in 2 sections 58" wide by 115" long and then join down the middle. I think it will work. I can sew the center seam on the machine and then hand sew down the back seam. Or I can ship it to my LAQ in ArkansaS AND BE DONE WITH IT.

trif 10-25-2010 07:48 PM

Wow! 115x115 that's a gigantic quilt. Not sure if I would tackle that one either.