Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Anyone quilt and piece on a Janome 1600DB? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-quilt-piece-janome-1600db-t75599.html)

Annaquilts 11-10-2010 04:53 PM

I just found out about this machine today and my interest is peaked. I have a Janome 6500 (6 1/2 yrs old and for runner of the 6600 and new 7700/Horizon) and like it alot. From what I understand the Janome 1600DB is straight stitch and can go faster then the Janome 6500. It also has a wonderful knee lifter like the 6500.

Does it have a build in thread cutter and can you moved the needle over? How do you like this machine and what do you use it for?

megs0863 11-10-2010 05:46 PM

I got the Janome 1600 DBX over the summer to use on a quilting frame. I have yet to fully master the frame and find myself liking the machine for regular sewing and quilting off frame. It is a fast machine and is only a straight stitch. It has auto thread cutter and knee bar. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but it is supposedly very similar to the viking Mega stitch and Pfaff grand quilter.The machine is very heavy and I think it is a sturdy one. So far I am happy with it. I have to get a walking foot for it since all purpose ones don't fit. I got the free motion foot which is fun to use.

Annaquilts 11-10-2010 05:51 PM

Thanks for your feedback. I have heard of other people buying it for use on a frame but then liking it so much they use it for piecing and free motion. that is what I would use it for too. I am glad to hear it has the automatic thread cutter. I am spoiled and love that feature and the knee lifter.

megs0863 11-11-2010 07:27 AM

I am not sure what the difference is between the DB and DBX. Just make sure the one you buy has the auto thread cutter. There are several versions of the 1600P that have different features. Make sure the one you choose meets your needs. Good luck in your purchase.

knlsmith 11-11-2010 07:34 AM

I have the 1600 P-QC. has thread cutter, needle up/down, and will NOT sew if foot is up (saves from birds nests), knee lifter. It sews crazy fast and I L O V E it!! I used to work in a sewing factory, and always loved the sound of a fast machine. Always makes me smile when i get time off work to sew.

Maggiemay 11-11-2010 07:57 AM

I have the 1600 (not sure of the letters because I'm not home) & I love it. I got it mainly for fmq but it pieces great too. It can go FAST and is a real workhorse. Love the thread cutter & the throatspace has made such a difference in the quilting. I haven't tried the knee lever, but I will based on your suggestions!

Maggiemay 11-11-2010 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by megs0863
I got the Janome 1600 DBX over the summer to use on a quilting frame. I have yet to fully master the frame and find myself liking the machine for regular sewing and quilting off frame. It is a fast machine and is only a straight stitch. It has auto thread cutter and knee bar. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but it is supposedly very similar to the viking Mega stitch and Pfaff grand quilter.The machine is very heavy and I think it is a sturdy one. So far I am happy with it. I have to get a walking foot for it since all purpose ones don't fit. I got the free motion foot which is fun to use.

Do you have an open fmq foot? I have a closed one & was wondering if I can get an open foot for it. I could always call the dealer but would rather ask here!

ljsunflower 11-11-2010 08:22 AM

We use ours with a walking foot to do bindings all by machine. It's a great machine!
We had it on a New Joy quilting frame for 2 years, then bought a Gammill.
You can't go wrong with it especially if you need that bigger throat.

MadQuilter 11-11-2010 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by megs0863
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but it is supposedly very similar to the viking Mega stitch and Pfaff grand quilter.

Yep, I have the Pfaff. It is a mechanical machine that really likes oil. Mine is going on the frame. No needle adjustment. Just straight like a bat out of hell. If you want to go backwards, it has an elbow push bar. (Not that I can use it correctly). It has no built-in walking foot either but one is available.

megs0863 11-11-2010 10:27 AM

I got a closed foot purchased from the same dealer I got the machine from.