Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Anyone remember this way of quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-remember-way-quilting-t199734.html)

QuiltnNan 09-06-2012 01:37 PM

've done the birthing, but never cut it off to bind

Stitchnripper 09-06-2012 01:49 PM

I've done the birthing and stitch basting, (not on the same quilts!) but never cut off edges and put on binding. Interesting.

ghostrider 09-06-2012 02:02 PM

Similar to the 'envelope method'. I use it all the time for small art quilts.

GrannieAnnie 09-06-2012 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 5495435)
I remember taking a class years ago and the instructor did her quilting just opposite of what most do now. She layered her quilt and turned it, she called it birthing the quilt. She basted the quilt with long running stitches from side to side and top to bottom then diagonal both ways. She then machine quilted the quilt and had no puckers or poofs. She then trimmed off the seam from the turning and added a binding. I'm sure she had a book she wrote, I remember her signing some. I didn't buy one as I was addicted to crochet at the time. LOL

MOST of my quilts are done that way-----------at least the baby quilts and personal size quilts. One on my sewing table this very instant. But "birthing" as a name for turning them inside out bothers me to no end. Don't know why----------just does.

GrannieAnnie 09-06-2012 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S (Post 5495512)
I have done a few quilts that way ... decades ago. One problem was they were best tied. Seems like they did not lay falt and even ( back and front) so machine quilting created a puckering problem.

and I don't hand quilt, I alway tack. So this is the perfect method for me.

GrannieAnnie 09-06-2012 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 5495454)
also called 'pillow case style' except after quilting she cut the (edges which are finished) and bound instead of leaving. i've seen them done this way or with a 1/2" line of stitching all the way around the finished edge.

cutting the edges seem counterproductive!

Tashana 09-06-2012 03:11 PM

In a book I have called Kitchen Stitchin' the author called this kind of quilts self binding quilts. But she does not cut the edges. I tried this on placemats and it was fine and I have two really old quilts given to me that are bound this way. No puckers in them but than again they were hand quilted eons ago and are still being used today. Batting in one is almost completely destroyed but the quilt itself is as new.

lynnie 09-06-2012 03:16 PM

Sounds like a good idea, ill have to try it

Tartan 09-06-2012 03:51 PM

I'vebirthed a few baby quilts but was never satisfied with the edges when quilted. Believe me I was tempted to cut the edges and bind them but I didn't have time.

Toni C 09-06-2012 04:15 PM

I tried this method way back. Mine turned out kind of lumpy (I tied it).Later I tried to quilt it. Oh boy what a mess. I didn't think of basting it. Maybe it would have turned out better. Anyway I didn't do that again