Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Anyone tried quilting with an embroidery sewing machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-tried-quilting-embroidery-sewing-machine-t209978.html)

Skittl1321 01-03-2013 11:04 AM

I have, but I decided I bought the wrong set of embroidery designs... In the future, I will only use closed medallion type designs. The ones I have are continuous line and I haven't really gotten the hang of rehooping to start them again. (Now, if you have one of those fancy machines with a camera, that isn't really a problem.)

Even when I did use medallions though- rehooping takes forever. The final product looks great, but I'm not sure if it is worth the time (especially because you are supposed to stay and supervise the machine while it embroiders)

kamaiarigby 01-03-2013 11:39 AM

I quilted a queen size quilt on my Janome 300, it was a open design in a 5x5 square there was SO much re-hoping it took a long time plus I had to stand with the machine to support the weight of the quilt, never again. But I do make medallion blocks, snowball of each corner and add them to a scrappy nine patch and get a lovely quilt, I can have the embroidery machine working while I am sewing.
Happy New Year to you all

Yankee_Doodle 01-03-2013 12:13 PM

Beautiful!!!

Holice 01-03-2013 12:49 PM

There are two kinds of designs for the embroidery machines. The designs that are more like traditional embroidery and the "single line" designs that look more like the quilting design. There are many disks of these designs. I have used these for a more traditional look for machine quilting. About 10 years ago I did such designs that were built into one of the machine brands. I don't know how long they stayed in their later models. One company refers to these as Dgitized Designs for the Home Sewing Machines and are on CDs these would work well with quilt as you go quilts. I have used them on crib quilts as the quilt must be hooped and might be difficult to hoop a large quilt although I have not tried. It has been my opinion that when the word embroidery is used we naturally think of more traditional embroidery and overlook the single line design option.

maryb119 01-03-2013 01:37 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I have embroidered the designs on blocks and then used some of my built in embroidery stitches to quilt the layers together. My quilt is call "Crazy About Iris" and was accepted and shown in the AQS show in Des Moines last October. If you quilt using an embroidery stitch, chose a more open stitch that does not have a lot of back and forth motion. All three layers can shift. I practiced on scraps with batting in between.

labtechkty 01-03-2013 01:40 PM

I have used my machine to quilt...I found that depending on the design and what you want to quilt, it was much faster than traditional quilting....now mind you I have not tried anything but filling in blocks...lol The trick, I think, is the open designs as well a making sure the embroidery unit is not weighted down..I have read on another post that the way they use their machine and keep it from weighing down is to place the entire machine on the floor...Haven't tried that yet...

Dordee 01-03-2013 02:02 PM

I have a brother Emb./sewing machine and have wanted to do this but was not sure about the backing-are you using the sticky stabilizer and when done picking the pieces out?

Mitch's mom 01-03-2013 02:35 PM

If your quilt is layered top, batting, backing, you really don't need stabilizer.

CarolynMT 01-03-2013 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom (Post 5759880)
If your quilt is layered top, batting, backing, you really don't need stabilizer.

I did not hoop my quilt, so yes I had to use stabilizer. I believe I used a wash away tacky, or used a wash away with spray basting.

Someone else actually hooped theirs....in that instance, no you would not use stablizer

Skittl1321 01-03-2013 03:00 PM

-never mind- reading comprehension is a good thing.