Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   anyone use a juki tl98q? (thread question) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-use-juki-tl98q-thread-question-t130026.html)

derricksmash 06-12-2011 05:05 PM

I make cornhole bags (if that creeps you out...google it...lol...its nothing bad) usually a bunch at a time. and...and I here on this quilting forum because 8 haven't been able to find knowledable question/answer base about my machine.

I have been using a juki tl98 for about two years. I have been using a 16 and/or 18 needles with #69 nylon. I know...total overkill.

but...I wanna overkill more. apparently, from several charts I have seen online, 18 needles are appropriate for #92 nylon.

can my machine accommodate that? like the title of this topic says, its a juki tl 98q.
anyone using that machine have success with 92 nylon thread?

I went to the singer factory service center (where I bought my machine) to ask...and they looked in the book and said "we don't think so"...and a lot of other answers that were more along the lines of, "you don't need to use that big of a thread", as opposed to a "yes" or "no"...

QuiltnNan 06-12-2011 06:59 PM

sorry, never tried it on mine.

derricksmash 06-12-2011 07:01 PM

thanks for your input anyways.

maybe I will try and find out

fabric_fancy 06-12-2011 07:05 PM

no reason why you can't.

i never have but i've used a size 18 needle on my juki and i've sewn leather on my machine and thats what that nylon thread is typically used for and you would use an 18 or 20 needle with it.

derricksmash 06-12-2011 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
no reason why you can't.

i never have but i've used a size 18 needle on my juki and i've sewn leather on my machine and thats what that nylon thread is typically used for and you would use an 18 or 20 needle with it.

you have further inspired me to give it a shot..

my biggest concern as to why I haven't just tried it is damaging my machine...should this be a concern of mine?

dollycaswell 06-12-2011 08:28 PM

FYI, there's a great gal, Leah Day at www.leahday.com who has used that machine a lot and is quite an expert on it. She's very approachable, at least on her Youtube videos, she seems to be, and perhaps you can email her and ask for help.

derricksmash 06-12-2011 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by dollycaswell
FYI, there's a great gal, Leah Day at www.leahday.com who has used that machine a lot and is quite an expert on it. She's very approachable, at least on her Youtube videos, she seems to be, and perhaps you can email her and ask for help.

sweet. thanks!

fabric_fancy 06-13-2011 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by derricksmash

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
no reason why you can't.

you have further inspired me to give it a shot..

my biggest concern as to why I haven't just tried it is damaging my machine...should this be a concern of mine?

it won't hurt the machine.

the worst you'll experience is having to play with the tension to get it just right.

derricksmash 06-19-2011 06:04 AM

update: still haven't tried, but i'll let you know as soon as i do in case you're also curious.