Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Anyone Use a Pounce to Mark Tops?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-use-pounce-mark-tops-t156050.html)

Ed 09-29-2011 03:28 AM

pahappel 09-29-2011 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by majormom

Originally Posted by pahappel
You may laugh, but I have successfully used kids wash out markers by Crayola to mark quilts. Washes out with no trouble. I do test my fabric first. They have a little heavier line than the blue/purple markers so easier to see

Are these actually crayons or are they markers? This is a very interesting concept that I would like to try. I've always had trouble seeing my markings especially on quilts with busily patterned fabrics like the one I am now quilting. However, the backing of the quilt is muslin, and so I am quilting on the backside of the quilt just so I can see my markings. I am using a Sewline Ceramic pen in turquoise.

They are markers. They're inexpensive and I've always been able to find a color that showed up on any fabric. Sometimes on a large quilt I use more than one color and they get very colorful, but it's quick, easy and cheap

pahappel 09-29-2011 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by majormom

Originally Posted by pahappel
You may laugh, but I have successfully used kids wash out markers by Crayola to mark quilts. Washes out with no trouble. I do test my fabric first. They have a little heavier line than the blue/purple markers so easier to see

Are these actually crayons or are they markers? This is a very interesting concept that I would like to try. I've always had trouble seeing my markings especially on quilts with busily patterned fabrics like the one I am now quilting. However, the backing of the quilt is muslin, and so I am quilting on the backside of the quilt just so I can see my markings. I am using a Sewline Ceramic pen in turquoise.

They are markers. They're inexpensive and I've always been able to find a color that showed up on any fabric. Sometimes on a large quilt I use more than one color and they get very colorful, but it's quick, easy and cheap

fish92241 09-30-2011 11:09 AM

I have a Bernina with the stitch regulator attachment and they warned us that it would not work with the powder. It interferes with the reading of the stitches. Besides, I found it messy!

maryb44662 10-01-2011 07:01 AM

I just use the white and gray quilting pencils and they do just fine for me. I don't think I care for the mess the powder that the pounce would probably make. Mary

wvdek 10-01-2011 07:23 AM

Wow, six of one half a dozen of the other. Not sure if I want to try one or stick to a #3 pencil which are hard to find. #2 pencils are what is sold in most stores and is a softer lead which does smear much easier.
We were alsways required in grade school to use a #3 and that what my Grams' ladies quilting group used to mark their quilts. Think I will stick to that.
Thanks for all teh tips though, I will keep them in mind.

mojo11 10-02-2011 12:20 PM

Doesn't ironing after quilting flatten the quilt?