Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Apple Core template question....help! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/apple-core-template-question-help-t49837.html)

cleio_18 06-15-2010 08:04 PM

Thanks for the X-acto knife idea, which might work as well. It occurred to me that I need to clarify which part I need help cutting. I need help with the inside curve, or the part of an apple where the seeds are. --> )(
I’m fine on the top and bottom outward curve.

Candace 06-15-2010 08:12 PM

I have an acrylic template for the apple core and use the smallest rotary cutter. STILL I manage to hit the blade occasionally on the inner curve. It does dull the blade and put some nicks into the template, but I'd still do it this way...with 4 or 5 layers at a time, it's worth it.

kay carlson 06-15-2010 08:22 PM

I just had another brainstorm..... at least that's what I am calling it!
When I was working on my Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt of hexagons, I made freezer paper templates. I stacked 4 to 6 layers of paper together, secured them with staples and cut out 4 to 6 hexagon templates at a time. I could use a dry iron to attach the plastic side to the wrong side of the fabric. When done, I could reuse the template several more times.
Just a thought...

craftybear 06-15-2010 09:22 PM

wow, lots of ideas, let us know how they come out

ctack2 06-16-2010 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by cleio_18
although, I was going to use on my scraps as i collect them. I guess if the rotary doesn't work, I will just have to put them aside somewhere special and wait..

Since you'll be using scraps as you collect them, it probably wouldn't be too bad to trace and cut as you go. Then one day you'll wake up and say "wow - look at all those apple cores I've cut out!" lol

Carol B

cleio_18 06-16-2010 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by ctack2

Originally Posted by cleio_18
although, I was going to use on my scraps as i collect them. I guess if the rotary doesn't work, I will just have to put them aside somewhere special and wait..

Since you'll be using scraps as you collect them, it probably wouldn't be too bad to trace and cut as you go. Then one day you'll wake up and say "wow - look at all those apple cores I've cut out!" lol

Carol B

THAT IS AN AWESOME IDEA!!!!! I was going to just grab a bunch now to start, but that makes wonderful sence! I will prob still try the small rotary first, and then after that go from there! I'm still not sure how others take the time to put them together, which is crazy! (I was going to just take the lazy way and stitch them on top of each other...) Thanks again to all--you made joining and possibly staying worthwhile!
Danielle

grammyp 06-16-2010 08:26 PM

I do my apple core with English Paper Piecing and don't have to accurately cut the fabric. I make my paper patterns from junk mail and toss them after 3-4 uses.