Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Applique -- fabric puckering (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/applique-fabric-puckering-t1499.html)

Rebecca Chambley 07-23-2007 03:23 PM

Is the applique puckering, or the fabric that your appliqueing it to? If its the fabric that your putting the applique on, I believe its the bobbin tension is to tite, Not a fact, just that I applique alot and in the past when I've had that problem, it was my tension, Hope that may help.

Catherine 07-23-2007 04:05 PM

If you really have nothing in your sewing stash to use...use coffee filters as a stabilizer..they really work!!

ButtercreamCakeArtist 07-23-2007 04:12 PM

I'm just wondering...since I am new to applique`...how do you get the paper out after you've applique`d the the applique` on the fabric? Do you leave a really small space, and remove it before you finish all the way around the item you are putting on top?

ButtercreamCakeArtist 07-23-2007 04:17 PM

Catherine~ That's a really great idea. Do the white, bleached ones work better or worse or the same as the natural brown ones?
I guess you iron these first??

Suz 07-26-2007 03:15 AM

Buttercream,

If you are appliquing by hand, then leave the opening and carefully pull the paper out. If by machine, then make a small slit in the back of the appliqued piece, pull it out, and then slip stitch or fuse the opening closed.

Suzanne

Catherine 07-26-2007 04:18 AM

I use the white ones, and iron them down, if you feel you need two, use two. These really do work great and tear away easily. I always keep them handy..you can't beat the cost!!!!

gr8tchr4u 07-31-2007 11:49 AM

A few questions:

1. Are you paying attention to the grain of the fabric of your base and applique? This can cause great puckering!
2. Also, are your fabrics of similar weights?
3. Are you using the same thread in the bobbin as well as sewing?
4. Does your machine pucker fabric when using a zig zag stitch normally or it is this special project that is causing pain?

I prefer something like interfacing or heat-n-bond. They come in various weights and are marvelous to use. They will also stay in place! :)

L

retrogirl02 07-02-2008 05:33 PM

Great topic and lots of good tips! Thanks.

Marcia 07-02-2008 06:04 PM

See how much trouble applique is? This is why I think it is a 4 letter word!! :shock:

jbsstrawberry 07-02-2008 06:29 PM

Are they puckering when you press them after they've been appliqued...I'm new to machine applique but have done hand work for a long time... If both your fabrics weren't prewashed, then steam can make them pucker...or too hot of an iron. One of the reasons I prewash everything...even tiny scraps I aquire from garage sales etc...i put them in a zippered mesh "personals" bag and gently wash them by hand in a dish tub. then hang them to dry by clips on hangers. Then when I press after appliqueing they don't pucker.