Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   applique with fusible web - and fabric paint? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/applique-fusible-web-fabric-paint-t45558.html)

littlehud 05-11-2010 02:15 PM

I tried the fabric paint years ago on a sweatshirt for my DD. I really didn't like it.

kwiltkrazy 05-11-2010 02:50 PM

I've done it. You need to make a test applique, to make sure you've got the right settings for your zigzag, and that you like it. I like a very narrow zigzag, with a close spacing,so that it looks like a satin stitch. But, I have seen it done with a regular zigzag, with a lot of spacing between stitches, but it is not my preference. Take your time and enjoy it.The glue I think you're talking about(fray check) just seals the edges , but doesn't bond the two surfaces. It also leaves the edges hard(stiff), and I don't care for it. You can also do invisible thread, I do like this. There is two ways you can do this: just a straight stitch about 1/16" inside the applique, (use the light invisible thread for light colored appliques, and smoke for the darker appliques.) The second is to use a small zigzag with a bit of spacing, the zig catches the applique and the zag catches the background fabric. I don't think I would ever use a puff paint on a quilt, durability is an issue. Maybe you could use chenille strips around appliques. These are a few suggestions I could think of. Just remember to have fun.

kwiltkrazy 05-11-2010 02:51 PM

Forgot, the glues can leave your quilt very stiff.

bj 05-11-2010 03:07 PM

One thing about fabric paint is that it gets brittle over time and laundering. I would think on a quilt that will be laundered some, paint wouldn't be a good choice. I have some painted shirts from "back in the day" that the paint has started to crack on. They've not been laundered a lot as they are holiday shirts that only get worn once a year.

LisaT 05-11-2010 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I use the blanket stitch with a steam-a-seamed piece. Paint is more for kids I think (look-wise). Not sure how they hold up and they are hard to maintain a smooth edge. I used puff paint on a sweatshirt many moons ago. Realized after the fact that my chest is already puffy enough.

Ha! Yeah I don't need to draw any attention to that area either!

LisaT 05-11-2010 04:09 PM

So glad you guys are here to run these things by.
You have all convinced me - I'll do it the "old fashioned" way. I was wimping out but I've got to get better at it sometime!

Thanks everyone!!

marsye 05-11-2010 04:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have done alot of wall hangings with fabric paint. Its so fast and easy! I just use wonder under #805 for the appliques and then go around the edges with Tulip fabric paint. I don't put the paint on real thick just enough to cover the edges. And Tulip has so many colors to choose from. These peas in a pod were done with Tulip paints.

marsye 05-12-2010 09:35 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is an applique wall hanging (in my dining room) I finished with fabric paint. Its really easy.

Jannie 05-12-2010 01:34 PM

You can use a blanket stitch in any color you would like -- to match or not match. I find I use black a lot just so I don't have to keep changing thread. I used the nylon thread only once & probably won't use it again. Good luck & would love to your project when done.

craftybear 05-16-2010 08:00 PM

great information, thanks