Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   applique ideas - dilemma (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/applique-ideas-dilemma-t135316.html)

Scissor Queen 07-05-2011 04:55 AM

I'm working on an appliqued wall hanging and I'm almost to the point where I need to add the flowers.

Here's my dilemma, I really want the flowers to have a slight poof to them but even the very thinnest cotton batting is too fuzzy around the edges of the applique.

Any brilliant ideas? Something that'll make it have just a little dimension but not be too fuzzy???

Jennifer22206 07-05-2011 04:57 AM

what about a fusible fleece?

QuiltnNan 07-05-2011 04:59 AM

so i'm thinking you are doing raw edge applique? if so, you could make the batting smaller than the finished object. you could do the same with an additional piece of fabric to give it more dimension - one shape slightly smaller than the object.

MTS 07-05-2011 05:02 AM

Is there any reason you wouldn't trapunto the flowers after you've appliqued them to the front?
You could use poly batting to get the poof you want.

Tartan 07-05-2011 05:03 AM

What kind of applique? You could do two layers of the same applique, stitching one down tight and only stitching the center and veins on the upper one. You could cut two, put them wrong sides together, stitch around and turn through an opening, add a little fiber fill and sew on. You could wait till you are ready to quilt and add a fusible piece of batt behind the quilt top applique, like in trapunto.

Scissor Queen 07-05-2011 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
Is there any reason you wouldn't trapunto the flowers after you've appliqued them to the front?
You could use poly batting to get the poof you want.

I'm appliqueing to an already quilted quilt. A poly batting wouldn't be as fuzzy but it would be a lot harder to fuse with Wonder Under.

Scissor Queen 07-05-2011 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan
What kind of applique? You could do two layers of the same applique, stitching one down tight and only stitching the center and veins on the upper one. You could cut two, put them wrong sides together, stitch around and turn through an opening, add a little fiber fill and sew on. You could wait till you are ready to quilt and add a fusible piece of batt behind the quilt top applique, like in trapunto.

Raw edged applique to an already quilted quilt.

Scissor Queen 07-05-2011 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
so i'm thinking you are doing raw edge applique? if so, you could make the batting smaller than the finished object. you could do the same with an additional piece of fabric to give it more dimension - one shape slightly smaller than the object.

I may have to try this idea and cut out the applique and the batting separate and then line them up and fuse together.

Scissor Queen 07-05-2011 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
what about a fusible fleece?

LOL, fusible fleece is the one thing I don't have in this room. The only resource I have close is a Walmart.

MTS 07-05-2011 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I'm appliqueing to an already quilted quilt.

Ah, that minor detail. ;-)