Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Applique pins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/applique-pins-t155290.html)

Kas 09-23-2011 03:57 PM

All you appliquers out there, what is your favorite applique pin? I took a class and she gave us some samples, but they didn't go into the fabric like I think they should. The point was sharp, but not tapered. It sort of looked like a mini metal pencil. Today I bought some Collins 1/2" Applique/Sequin pins. I think they might be the same as the teacher handed. out. I really would like to have a sharp pin. These other things seem to cause the piece to move while pinning.

hopetoquilt 09-23-2011 04:20 PM

would love to see what others say. I bought some applique pins on line but they are so small. I have had carpal tunnel syndrome since childhood (totally not complaining b/c it doesn't affect me 99% of the time and I am used to it). My index and middle fingers are numb. Makes it hard to grab small pins. I bought larger flowerhead pins to try. I am starting my first needle turn applique. Maybe using the longer pins won't affect things b/c the shapes I am going to applique are larger.

scowlkat 09-23-2011 06:46 PM

Try silk pins. I love them.

Vanuatu Jill 09-23-2011 08:12 PM

I also have the tiny applique pins with tiny white heads, and the thing I like about them is they don't get in the way of my thread as much. I really only use them on smaller pieces, because they are not as easy to use as regular pins. I tend to use my regular glass head pins which are very sharp. I do, however, use fusibles when ever possible instead of needle-turn.

MsEithne 09-23-2011 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Kas
All you appliquers out there, what is your favorite applique pin? I took a class and she gave us some samples, but they didn't go into the fabric like I think they should. The point was sharp, but not tapered. It sort of looked like a mini metal pencil. Today I bought some Collins 1/2" Applique/Sequin pins. I think they might be the same as the teacher handed. out. I really would like to have a sharp pin. These other things seem to cause the piece to move while pinning.

I use Iris steel pins... and pin from the back, where the head and point don't get tangled up in my thread at all.

To me, it doesn't matter how small the piece is or how long the pin is, so long as it is sharp and fine enough to make a tiny "stitch" to hold the fabric.

Peckish 09-23-2011 08:19 PM

Sometimes I use the little tiny pins with white heads, the rest of the time I use tiny drops of washable school glue.

janedee 09-23-2011 08:33 PM

Using longer pins won't cause any problems its just easier if the pieces you are sewing are small to use small pins so they don't get in the way - hope you enjoy your first needleturn project it is my most favourite techinique

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
would love to see what others say. I bought some applique pins on line but they are so small. I have had carpal tunnel syndrome since childhood (totally not complaining b/c it doesn't affect me 99% of the time and I am used to it). My index and middle fingers are numb. Makes it hard to grab small pins. I bought larger flowerhead pins to try. I am starting my first needle turn applique. Maybe using the longer pins won't affect things b/c the shapes I am going to applique are larger.

ckcowl 09-24-2011 02:20 AM

i use glass head silk pins- very fine/sharp and the glass heads means no worry over melting if i happen to hit one with the iron.