Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   applique question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/applique-question-t133.html)

Boo 12-11-2006 08:31 AM

Reynold's freezer paper is in the grocery store along with the foil and waxed paper section.

rama 12-11-2006 09:13 AM

Thanks a lot

Lucia 12-15-2006 03:12 AM

Suzanne
I use a variation of your method to make circles; I use the sticky dots (office supply store) instead of the template – because they stay in place there is no need to mark the fabric – I make the running stitch, draw it up tightly around the dot and press the seam allowance against the sticky side; To get the dot out, I make a slash in the back and pull it out with a hemostat. The smaller dots, if they are white, sometimes I just leave them in place – the glue side is against the seam allowance and in a couple of months the glue is completely dry. And just a note of caution for those of you that want to try this method, never use the iron on any sticky stuff – tape, dots, labels-- because the glue will never came out of the fabric.
Lucia

Lucia 12-15-2006 03:36 AM

Ruth
What kind of glue is that and what does it look like? Do you still have to wet the fabric to get the freezer paper out? I would like to try it with YLI Wash-a-Way Paper and Stable Magic; I agree with you about the glue sticks; too massy for my taste and I get the glue all over my fingers. Thanks :?
Lucia

Ruth Cozadd 12-20-2006 09:36 AM

The Avery glue pen I use is in a white plastic pen casing, the glue inside is blue when wet but dries clear. The glue is in stick form and you turn the barrell of the pen to advance it. The glue itself is only about 1/4 in. wide. Perfect for seam allowances. It is just sticky enough to hold the fabric to the back of the freezer paper while you stitch, but releases easily when you want it to. I have never had to wet the fabric to remove the paper. I tried the stable magic you mentioned but still prefer the freezer paper from the quilt shop, not the the one on a role from the supermarket, it really does make a difference!

cbonagain 01-04-2007 07:32 AM

I've used the wash-away paper and was pretty unhappy with the results.
You can wash it out, but it's a gooy,gluey mess and you have to soak it quite awhile before it's gone, wrong side down in the tub or basin so the glue will sink to the bottom. Then, check the seams for excess glue residue. What it really is, is a very thin sheet of glue. If any of you try it and have better results, please let me know how. I used it for a paper-piecing quilt top (which I'm quilting right now :) Oh Happy Day!)

maggie 01-06-2007 05:42 PM

Hello. I bought some at the grocery store. Its by Renolds. The high end grocery stores usually have it though too.

Margaret

cgrossb 01-09-2007 09:10 AM

does the stickum from the labels do anything to the fabric?
[email protected]

Lucia 02-01-2007 05:00 AM

Hi Ruth
THANK YOU! Yes a big thank you for sharing the Avery glue. :shock: I will never use a glue stick again! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Lucia

vicki reno 02-06-2007 06:48 AM

Has anyone ever tried using usd dryer fabric softner sheets? After they have been run through the dryer they are great for applique. I used them on a sunbonnet sue quilt and a butterfly quilt. I find that I don't ahve as much patience as I sued to and do not do much needle turned applique anymore. Sew the dryer sheet to the ight side of your piece,trim the seam, and cut a slit in the back of the sheet and turn right side out! Press and you can either slipstich your piece to the background or use the invisible hem stitch on the machne. Hope this helps someone. :)