Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Applique question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/applique-question-t34691.html)

Kitty Yates 01-21-2010 06:06 AM

How do you keep a darker color that is tucked under a light piece from showing through? Am doing a snowman and the arms are tree limbs and tucked uner the snowman but the brown shows through. Also the snowman is placed on a background that has sky and ground that is dark and the seams show through the snowman. HELP and THANKS.

vicki reno 01-21-2010 06:13 AM

If it is possible, double the snowman pieces (the light ones). Just a thought, but the thicker the fabric, the less likely the dark colors to show through.

DA Mayer 01-21-2010 06:14 AM

Could you double the thickness of the snowman? Especially if all those areas show through. Haven't had that problem yet, good luck on solving it.

Elisabrat 01-21-2010 06:18 AM

Doubling is the answer if two thickness of the fabric your using is too thick use a lining fabric inbetween of a lighter weight and that should help hide that underneath peak.I just had that issue with my bunnyhill bom snowman and finally lined him.

Kitty Yates 01-21-2010 06:46 AM

Some good ideas. Would you put fusible web on both thicknessess of the lightger fabric?

feline fanatic 01-21-2010 06:55 AM

Are you doing fusible applique or needle turn?

If you are doing needle turn you can modify it and take your applique pieces and place them right sides together with a white backing fabric such as lightweight bleached muslin or cheapy white solid broadcloth. Sew them together on your applique line but leave a bit unsewed to turn the piece right side out. Press the piece firmly and you have your applique ready to sew to your background piece and it is already turned under for you. The downside to this technique is the extra layer of fabric and the seam allowance from sewing the two pieces together may create a shadow, but I would think that would solve your shadowing problem of the background fabric and darker peices tucked under the snowman. Additionally a seam allowance shadow may be less obvious. Hope my explanation makes sense.

Oklahoma Suzie 01-21-2010 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by DA Mayer
Could you double the thickness of the snowman? Especially if all those areas show through. Haven't had that problem yet, good luck on solving it.

my thoughts too.

Baywatch quilter 01-21-2010 04:51 PM

You could also choose to use iron on interfacing... the method is one used by Eleanor Burns. Place the RS of the fabric against the WS of the interfacing. Sew all around the piece. Slice a small slit in the interfacing and turn it. The RS of your fabric should now be against the nubby side (glue) of the interfacing. You can fiddle with the edges until they look great... and ONLY then iron... the interfacing is now ironed to the wrong side of the piece and the piece has been turned under. All you have to do is sew it to the background... by hand or machine. Good luck. :mrgreen:

NauDeeGal 01-21-2010 05:11 PM

If you want to have the snowman stand out more, you could use a layer of white felt or bleached cotton batting or fusible poly batting, between layers of the snowman. or make the snowman out of thicker fabric altogether, such as chenille, minkee, felt, low pile fur (for a funky look). The possibilites are endless.... ;-)

DeeDee