Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   applique ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/applique-t10205.html)

PurplePassion 08-14-2008 10:02 AM

I am trying out a new applique pattern wallhanging. this pattern is done by placing freezer paper templates on the right side of the fabric and pressing with a hot iron. I normally use something like wonder under or heat and bond for appliqueing. Does the freezer paper leave a residue on the top of the fabric?? Thanks for your input. Elaine

zyxquilts 08-14-2008 10:54 AM

No, Elaine, the freezer paper won't leave a residue on your fabric! It's like a magic thing :wink:

humbird 08-14-2008 10:56 AM

Freezer paper will not leave a residue.

PurplePassion 08-14-2008 11:32 AM

ok, thank you , I have read through some of the other postings on freezer applique, and I don't understand why it is put on the right side of fabric and not the under side? I am thinking if it is put on the underside , then you can turn the edges under better to stitch down. Right ??
Elaine

Izy 08-14-2008 12:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Purplepassion here is information on how to use freezer paper in applique, hope this helps you :D

Izy 08-14-2008 12:08 PM

Oooops...the second download is about using freezer paper for foundation piecing, didnt mean to confuse you, but you might find it useful too :D

ShellyQ 08-14-2008 12:09 PM

It can be done both ways, some people do needle turn applique with the freezer paper on the right side of the fabric, me... Iv'e never been able to master that technique :lol: so I use the frezzer paper on the reverse side of the fabric as you described.

The main thing to remember with doing that with a pattern that has been designed to be used the other way is that you will have to make a mirror image of all your pieces that are not symmetrical. Easiest way is to turn pattern over, trace the lines of the pattern pieces on the back so you can see them easier, then trace onto the non shiny side of the freezer paper. I hope that long winded description makes sense :D But I bet someone else on here has a betta way of doing that :wink:

Izy 08-14-2008 12:10 PM

Well I do it the exact same way as you Shelly just flip it over, hold up to the light or stick to a window is good, then just trace over the lines in a bold pen :D

ShellyQ 08-14-2008 12:21 PM

Good one Izy :P , That's what I do too, tape to a window I mean. We don't get all the gears here either but it's amazing what you can make do with, needs must and all that. I had alot of tracing to do at one time and I find the window method a bit hard on my shoulder after a while, so I made a light box. I just used a large cardbord box, put a table lamp in it and popped the sliding glass door out of the china cabinet. It was funky looking but it did the job :lol:

Izy 08-14-2008 12:23 PM

Wey hey, I love a girl who can improvise, you sound like me, once you have got your mind set on doing something, you find a way no matter what....great idea!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: